How do you get your FUZZ tones in today's LOW volume era?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1973Marshall, May 23, 2015.

1. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

As PA systems have really proliferated, even the smallest dives have solid sound. Thus it's really hard to get that sweet cranked sound as a platform to smooth out fuzzes. It's often hard to get a small amp past 2 on the dial, since many places have guitars mic'd up and the sound guy can get you over the band.

When you are gigging or in environments where you have to turn down, how are you getting your fuzz sound?

I've been stacking to get the sound I want, but I was curious if there were options or pedals that are getting people there at low volumes?

2. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Stacking or finding a more low volume fuzz friendly pedal. A lot of fuzz face type pedals need volume, but pedals like Paul Trombetta's fuzzes sound pretty good even at lower volumes.

3. chistov

chistov Member

I like to stack my fuzz into my KOT with the o.d side gain low for warm low volume sounds

4. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I find that stacking a fuzz into an overdrive really does the trick. My current favorite combo is Bonetender > Zendrive.

I also have a lot of Devi Ever pedals that play nicely at lower volumes. Probably because they're all so stinkin' high gain.

5. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

I put a compressor and tubescreamer in front of them

6. V

V Vendor

You know...maybe that's why I find a lot of vintage fuzz designs too bright and end up modding them if I build myself one. I have always been in this current sound reinforcement Era so I never really experienced the crank your amp to smooth out your fuzz on stage thing.

7. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

A fuzz that doesn't depend on the volume knob to achieve its raunchiest fuzz is how to do it - I use the EHX "Satisfaction" fuzz, and did the "bass" mod to it. Sounds like a super angry fuzz face, and I don't have to have both knobs dimed to get the ideal sound.

your name here likes this.
  8. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I still want to grab one of those sometime and give that mod a try.

As far as what I'm using... A Spaceman Sputnik does the trick for me. If I do want to smooth it out - which I only do maybe 50% of the time - I stack it with a Bearfoot Model G. I run the Sputnik into a Spaceman Saturn V to boost and tighten it sometimes, too. These three pedals in concert work very well for me, though I may go back to a Baby Pink Booster, as it's my all-time favorite boost. The Saturn V on it's own can be a bit too dirty for me. But you didn't ask that... Lol.

9. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

I don't play with a lot of fuzz, but I do rock ProCo Rats in the fuzz territory. I use a Zvex Super Hard On as a pre-amp. The signal hitting my amp makes it cook, shake, and fear for its little life. It's all about tricking your amp into a near-death experience.

10. jtbleeker

jtbleeker Member

I use my fuzz factory into the the high gain channel of my hot rod deluxe. You can cop the same sound by running into an OD to smooth things out and give it some of that amp-like compression in my experience though. Just make sure the drive fits the character of the amp you're running so it doesn't feel completely out of place.

11. Dan-o

Dan-o Member

If you run an EHX Satisfaction Fuzz ( which is great if you like that crispy 60's Jordon Boss Tone Fuzz thing) into a Big Muff you can get a lot of Fuzz variations at a low Volume & not a lot of noise ( depending on the Muff of course). The Nano Muff works great paired with the Satisfaction that I can say.

12. BacchusPlateau

BacchusPlateau Member

Fuzz into overdrive pedal works great for low volume

13. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

What is the bass mod?

14. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I read on one internet board that this pedal's PCB had empty pads in it that are basically left there for people to mod if they like/choose to. So I opened it up and sure enough, there they are. One set of pads for changing clipping diodes and one for adding bass. Well I didn't want to change the tone just the EQ - so doing just the bass mod sounded like a fantastic idea!

So I found I had a 22N square poly cap at the house. Literally just stick it in the pads and solder the two legs in place - its idiot proof. I put that cap in the satisfaction fuzz - AWESOME! Super simple, and the sound now is 10 times better! This mod is PERFECT - all the bass of a fuzz face but with a very present and aggressive nature that never gets muddy but never sounds thin either. Plus its all wrapped up in a sound that is not dependent upon the volume either, so I can set it how I like. Now, be aware that doing this mod completely voids your warranty. That being said, any moron could do this mod without screwing it up, and it only cost me a few pennies plus the pedal. Personally I like this way better than any of the fuzz faces or muffs I've owned.

yeah, yeah - I know its not boutique. Hell most of the entire board is SMT... but to me it sounds GREAT.

Hope that helps!~

15. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

Thanks!

Yeah... I thought it sounded like about what I payed for it. Leave it to Mike and the crew to have had some forethought!

16. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

sorry, but:
    i used to push my amps' power sections hard with an attenuator;
    now, i push 'em hard with a fryette power station: way better.
    so, there are no problems with getting fuzzes to pushing the amps, for me.