How do you get your lead tone?!?!

BlueLou

Supporting Member
For me I use Andy Timmons signature angry Charlie into a clean Fender amp. I am very curious to hear how other people get their preferred lead tone. What does it sound like or reminiscent of?

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
Well, I don't have just one.
I use a Reeves Custom 50 as a canvas and it works great, clean-ish, somewhat dark.
BK Butler Tube Driver is how I get my darker lead sounds.
For my "British" sounds I am using either my Cornish G-2 or my Carl Martin Plexitone. I push the Plexitone with a DOD 250 type pedal and I push the G-2 with an Analogman TS-9.
The rest of my leads come courtesy of a Cornish P-1 which is pretty much the ideal Big Muff. Sometimes I'll put a little modulation after courtesy of my Boss DC-2W.

BlueLou

Supporting Member
Well, I don't have just one.
I use a Reeves Custom 50 as a canvas and it works great, clean-ish, somewhat dark.
BK Butler Tube Driver is how I get my darker lead sounds.
For my "British" sounds I am using either my Cornish G-2 or my Carl Martin Plexitone. I push the Plexitone with a DOD 250 type pedal and I push the G-2 with an Analogman TS-9.
The rest of my leads come courtesy of a Cornish P-1 which is pretty much the ideal Big Muff. Sometimes I'll put a little modulation after courtesy of my Boss DC-2W.
Wow you have quite a palette of lead tones to work with! Do you have a pic of that board on hand?

marvelboy_04

I usually play lower gain, but usually a fuzz. The best I ever had live was probably a cranked Skreddy Screwdriver into the yellow side of a King of Tone into a Maz 18 with very low output tele pickups. It sang so beautifully.

supergenius365

Supporting Member
Just ordered a Keeley Drive and Delay pedal. I’m hoping it will be my lead sound. Mike Hermans made it sound great like he always does, but it actually sounded like what I have wanted for quite a while now.

My lead tone at its dirtiest (which really isn’t all that dirty these days imo) comes from a cbread 5f6 set clean with a bump in the mids boosting a j rockett dude and maybe futzing with my guitar knobs. Sometimes it’s just guitar into a clean amp. The pedal combo though is a rich sound that translates nuance very nicely, kind of similar to Jing chi only a little more dark and round (guitar is a GB40THII with .11 flats).

FoundIt

BBRI with Celestion Gold Alnicos, attenuator to take it right to edge of breakup, and then I kick in a Klon to push the front end of the amp for the solos. Lots of other FX but they are for coloring, not basic tone.

BlueLou

Supporting Member
Just ordered a Keeley Drive and Delay pedal. I’m hoping it will be my lead sound. Mike Hermans made it sound great like he always does, but it actually sounded like what I have wanted for quite a while now.
This dude doesn't make bad sounds... he could use the *******st board anyone could assemble and kill it.

I wonder what flavor the drive is on that

Trending Topics