How do you get your lead tone?!?!

BlueLou

Supporting Member
Thanks! KOT is amazing and POT being half of it I know it'll be great as well! let me know what you think of it!

And maybe a little sacrifice, however, it helps if you have a good volume, you have a better range to play with dynamics.
I really like the PoT!
Messing with the dip switches to see how I like it.

Mr Fingers

Amp clean, slight boost and OD, sometimes comp, none of them really turned up, but collectively creating that sweet spot where how you play pretty much determines whether you're going to get clean lines or more burning drive tones. When I dial up effects to produce a tone, even when it's good I find that the expression suffers and a real flattening happens. So I try to live the dream and set up a responsive signal chain that amplifies my touch and picking without just "processing" it.

I’d like some help with this one.

I crank my Bassbreaker 15w, leave my guitar at half volume, have a Wampler Tumnus always on with some gain going. I can crank the guitar for more breakup and that’s usually enough to stand out, but I have a JHS Bonsai I can click on for more push - I just have to make sure I’m running the Tumnus fairly clean.

I should add a clean boost or micro amp so I can color my tone with the Tumnus instead of just boosting, right? Are those the same thing in all cases? How many decibels boost is useful?

lowyaw

For me I use Andy Timmons signature angry Charlie into a clean Fender amp. I am very curious to hear how other people get their preferred lead tone. What does it sound like or reminiscent of?
A series of OD pedals, digital (within a modeler) or real boxes into the amp. piling dirt up to get Crunch - more crunch - as much dirt as possible. For me it's usually a crunchy amp first, then RAT variant as the main "rock" sound, a TS variant as the Breadn and Butter boost, and then it depends; either one more boost in front of a TS, like a TC Spark or a compressor, or some sort of hideous distortion (Big Muff?) after the Rat, with a cleaner amp. Or may be not. I rarely use the supergain feature, and I ride volume on the guitar a lot.

I highly recommend using a volume boost in the loop, or at the end of the chain, too. Brings back a lot of details. Just enough of boost to raise guitar sound slightly above the mix and more in-your-face.

Last edited:

Buck Naked

For me I use Andy Timmons signature angry Charlie into a clean Fender amp. I am very curious to hear how other people get their preferred lead tone. What does it sound like or reminiscent of?
Timmy to both sides of a Browne Protein to delay to reverb to AC30.

Wampler Tumnus into a RevivalDrive Compact into clean amp. I did have the Xotic SL Drive but the RevivalDrive Compact has taken it's spot and it's in another league. Tone bliss all day long no matter what amp I plug into.

btjguitarman

Supporting Member
I kick on ch 3 on my PT15 and have a preset on my SA Vertigo that‘s set up kinda like a clean TSish sound with a bit of a volume boost.

PhaTz

Class A amp give you a cutting lead tone .. The presence / phatness is very warm and alive .. The nuances that Class A Amps bring to the table aren't the same as most other amps .. The best lead tone amp I have ever heard and once owned is a 1956 Fender Twin Class A amp .. I know, I know I was really stupid for selling it .. What can I say I was tempted by the $25k I finally fell prey too .. I have another Class A amp which is scary good .. Its a Jim Seavall Amp which was built by Dr Foote .. Its called the Major Crunch .. Everyone who hears the amp says "Turn It Down" .. There are some amps that don't get the saturated full tone until they are turned up .. To those who say turn it down .. I answer go back to your bedroom young man ..

That being said I have other amps which do have amazing lead tones .. I have a non master volume Super Lead Plexi designed by again Jim Seavall .. It one of 2 I think .. Its a baddass amp called Butch .. It has a glassy tone with an edginess that cuts like no other .. The aforementioned are my two favorite cutting amps ..

I have another amp which was a special one of tweaked amp by Doug Roccaforte .. It's and HG100 but is different as Doug tweaked it for a friend who decided he didn't need the amp .. So I was the lucky on who got the amp which Doug spent a lot of time with and when you hear it you know why it is different IMNSHO .. This amp is a great cutting amp .. There is now way your going to play this amp at low volume .. Nada ..

I have 3 Dumble-Esk amps .. They are cutting amps which produce good lead tones but they have nuances which are unlike other Dumbles .. One is a Bruno Amp that I had Andy Fuch's tweak and another is a Mark Kane with a built in effects loop that I don't use for effects .. I use the extra tube stage for saturation and it has a thickness I have never heard in another Dumble amp .. I have a Steel String Singer amp which was made by Amplified Nation .. Bludotone owner Brandon Montgomery said it was a knock off of one of his SSS's .. This amp is a clear and clean as it gets .. The amp brings out the true sound of your guitar .. If you don't fret well, you'll hear that .. I like the SSS with Rotating speaker effects and a TS-9 which gives me an incredible blues tone ..

I have a Kendrick Gusher which has this old timey tube sag that spills out big bottle glass tones with KT66's .. What a great amp for lingering sag tone effects that are run through it .. It the added sag which give this amp its character ..

I have other amps but I wouldn't characterize them as Lead Amps or cutting amps ..

beeflin

Up till lockdown my lead tone was my Beano Boost into my Marshall 6101 in Master Volume (yellow) mode to give light overdrive. It was a very simple setup - Beano off = rhythm, Beano on = lead. Using my P90 bridge pickup I felt I had a reasonable pair of sounds for All Right Now.

When I go out again I will have a new range of gain pedals to experiment with - Tonebender, Fuzz Face, Big Muff &/or Superfuzz into an Ibanez Mostortion which will give the light overdrive instead of the amp, then finally a clean boost if required. The Beano will still be first in the chain and the amp will be set on clean (green) mode. I reckon that will be more versatile, but I can still switch back to the old chain and the amp's yellow mode if needed.
10 Marshall 6101 (1993).jpeg

3dognate

Supporting Member
It’s usually just whatever tone I have only louder. I do a post gain volume boost so the FOH doesn’t have to ride my fader.

skullfunkerry

After using Orange gear for years, when I bought my Katana I investigated the sneaky amps and started using the Rockerverb model quite a bit. Lead tone was basically the same as my rhythm tone, with a little more gain, a little more boost (the boost on my rhythm channel is only there to tighten up the bottom end), a little more middle, and a light delay.

I've started using a much tighter, more modern-sounding rhythm sound now, based on a heavily gated 5150, but I'm still using my Rockerverb lead sound :)

rizla

Supporting Member
When I gigged, Kingsley Jester boost button. Jetter red2 what ever side im not using became the boost.

Now I just play clean and its all a solo.

1morepedal

Supporting Member
Humbuckers -> BB+ -> wonderdawg

Very sustainy violin sounding
I second the Xotic BB+ for lead and dirty rhythm tones when using a Fender-style amp. I use the distortion channel on the BB+ and ride the volume knob (7 for rhythm and 10 for lead). I've honestly been using this pedal for over 10 years. I've tried many, many, others but I keep coming back to it. (Xotic is thinking about coming out with a mini pedal version of the distortion channel.) For Marshall-style amps, I use the Boss OD-1 setting on the JHS Bonzai (Tubescreamer pedal) and once again ride the volume knob to change from rhythm to lead.

gradynickel

Well, to be honest, I've never gotten my preferred lead tone. I would prefer it to sound like Jimmy Page from TSRTS or Chris Brokaw's lead tone, but it always ends up sounding like well, not that. Anyway, Tokai TOD-1 and/or Basic Audio Tri/Ram Muff into Deluxe Reverb 68' reissue (Guitar- Greco SG 1989).

Treepeck

Route 66 > noise gate > Arion Tubulator > Boss DD 5 > Ibenez DE 7 > 1966 Fender Bandmaster. Route 66 (Compression slight....over drive 50%) Tubulator Full bore for when I gotta hit the gas....kinda somewhere between Mahavishnu Orchestra and Larry Carlton. without the gas it's kinda like Neil Young semi-clean and the Stones. Very compact board and actually I can get just about everything imaginable except screaming modern Metal...with a couple twists of some knobs. Of course this is with a gibson...strap on the Tele or Strat and it's a whole nother ballgame.

Trending Topics