How do you get your lead tone?!?!

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
Well, to be honest, I've never gotten my preferred lead tone. I would prefer it to sound like Jimmy Page from TSRTS or Chris Brokaw's lead tone, but it always ends up sounding like well, not that. Anyway, Tokai TOD-1 and/or Basic Audio Tri/Ram Muff into Deluxe Reverb 68' reissue (Guitar- Greco SG 1989).
check out the skreddy hybrid fuzz driver, when i run it into an edge or break up amp or miab, it really has the presence to nail that live jimmy page tone

SimonShep

This is a really fun thread! For me it depends on the gig, style of music, guitar, and amp I’m using. Lately my favorites are 50w Marshall build modded to be a little higher gain than jcm800 with a boost in front( set to just above unity just for a little eq, compression, and tiny bump more than anything), depending on the guitar either ts, mythical OD, or beano. OR, Morris Mojo with just about any boost in front, OR a really heavily modded 5e3( more like a 5e3 and high gain amp had a baby) with nothing or a ts in front.
Though one of the funnest for a country gig was using a dimed 64 pro reverb with a tube tape delay in front and a tele.
Waiting right now on a ceriatone expression and I have high hopes for the lead tones I think I’ll be getting out of it.

jamester

Silver Supporting Member
I mainly keep the volume knob around 8 for rhythm, turn up to 10 for leads.

After that, the MG side of my Double Barrel is the "more" button for extra volume and grit to both clean and dirty leads. I use the TS side of the DB for crunch, then stack with the MG for leads.

a_rei

For me I use Andy Timmons signature angry Charlie into a clean Fender amp. I am very curious to hear how other people get their preferred lead tone. What does it sound like or reminiscent of?
Cherry body frankenstrat + Aldrich humbucker on the bridge + Fulltone's mosfet compcut section + Wampler's Pinnacle + Mesa Rectifier .... sweet holy lord, what a classic hot hard rock tone!

roknfnrol

Silver Supporting Member
For me I use Andy Timmons signature angry Charlie into a clean Fender amp. I am very curious to hear how other people get their preferred lead tone. What does it sound like or reminiscent of?
Bearfoot Honey Beest into a clean Fender amp. Kind of tweed meets Marshall vibe. Just sounds like a good usable dirty tone.

I’m a stupidly impulsive guitarist, so the pedals under my feet tend to vary wildly.

but I definitely roll the guitar volume back to around 8 unless
I’m playing a gated fuzz.

then, as other have said, I put my fingers on the frets and pray.

it’s not “my solo” unless there’s a few really bad notes hit with unjustified confidence.

ashtone

I play smaller amps (Deluxe Reverb; AC-15HW; old Super Champ) so I can turn them up to the sweet spot. Dial the guitar back to 7-8 for rhythm and 10 for solos. I rarely use an overdrive, but when I do it’s a copy of a Menatone Blue Collar that I built in the ‘90’s.
4558 chip; very subtle and transparent. Pushes everything just a bit over the top.
I love the question by the OP, but I think there are as many ways to get a “lead tone” as there are guitarists.

A clean Fender Twin and an MXR distortion+ set very low so it just on the edge. Sometimes if the song needs it I'll turn the distortion up. I can use the volume control on the pedal with my foot between lead breaks.

This and a Strat or Tele is my usual rig. Nothing else. Aaaaah

cyarwood

I run my pedalboard into (depending on the venue) either a vintage Super Reverb or a '90s Hot Rod Deluxe - set to a nice clean Fender tone. Boss CS2 at the beginning of signal chain provides a little sag. Heavier gain comes from either a RAT or a MI Crunchbox (switched in/out depending on whim). Light crunch comes from a Westbury W-20 Tube Distortion (previously owned by my former neighbor, Sean Lane (RIP)). I also stack the W-20 on top of the RAT/Crunchbox for a lead boost. Sometimes I have reversed the roles for the light crunch/heavy gain boxes. And for certain venues, all that goes out the window because in those cases, I use a Line 6 Pod HD500X into a powered wedge (line out to FOH). In that case, the Pod is set up with multiple presets of the same amp (either the Dr.Z or the Marshall Plexi models) with varied degrees of gain so that I can easily go from clean to crunch to overdrive. I do it that way because I'm not thrilled with most of the Pod's distortion models. And I add a distortion model for boost - usually the Chandler Tube Drive model dialed in just right for a lead boost.

fatztreeboy

i got a 73 twin with 3 boss pedals.... in order, d1 orange distortion, boss phaser#3, boss delay 3.... a cry baby after the orange distortion box is good too...... u cant beat a tuned up Fender 100 watt SF Twin and a delay pedel :)

Pete Dabell

valve overdrive pedal into a 50 watt valve amp ( Marshalls mainly ) Current favorite is a Vox flat 4 overdrive, but have used a Blackstar Dual and a Byang OTD 1 in the past,

Fitzer

Supporting Member
Either a JCM800 lead channel goosed with a Boss SD-1, or a Boss DA-2 distortion into a Fender Hot Rod clean channel.

Crypto9889

By using a boost (or sometimes a compressor - as a boost) into an overdriven tube head.
EP Booster = main.

-Tone controls on guitar: also important. I like the sound lightly rolled off (5-8 on the guitar) -but not all the way down.

LR1400

When I played live I used pedals into amp. I would usually just turn down and/or pick softer for rhythm. At the time I used Strat and stacked voodoo1 and ts9 into a fender or Marshall low watt. Church stuff.

For gospel churches, I would use a 50 watt Marshall and soldano gto or the above stack.

NOW, I prefer silver jubilee with almost max gain and Les Paul or 100watt/50watt Marshall with Soldano GTO and Les Paul. Just turn down or pick softer for rhythm.

Maguchi

Sometimes just the 2nd channel on a tube amp or on single channel tube amps using gain or volume up and regulate with guitar's volume knob. Other times using pedals like a Keeley Compressor, Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive or Boss MT-2 Metal Zone either alone or daisy chained in combination. I also like to put delay and chorus on a lead tone with an Ibañez AD-9 Delay or a Boss CE-2 Chorus.

Pedalboard.jpg

Trending Topics