How do you go about deciding to keep/move pedàls?

Rock72

This is intended to be a ighthearted discussion on effects and how we make judgmenets. Here at TGP we are often diamterically opposite when it comes to how good we think they are. And to add to this, views differs often drastically from reviews in various guitarmagazines.

Example:

"The reveb sounds alone outclass any other products in its price range, including reverb software plug-ins" It was awarded GW Platinum Award (Guitar World, July 2011, p. 92)

"The Spring algorithm sounds natural and rich... The hall and plate reverb were both beautiful sounding... Mind-boggling possibilities... the Space has the power to be endlessly rewarding" (Premier Guitar, June 2011, p. 186)

"To put it in context, rather than to compare the asking price to other stompboxes, think instead of how much a rackmount processor or the best quality plug-ins cost, and suddenly it doesn't seem that bad a deal, especially when Space sounds so good" It was awarded Guitarist Choice and 5/5 on sound (Guitarist, Summer 2011, p.129)

Then look at the number of threads and discussions on this pedal, and how some people think it is the best and some thinks it is very bad. How do we go from magnificent to anemic, sterile and digital?? Other pedals where this frequently happens are the Timeline, Timefactor, Blue Sky Reverb, Klon, Ethos...."fill in pedal name here"

How do you decide on how good a pedal is? Are you colored by reviews in magazines and TGP / Internett hype/hate?

I admit it, I do at time get sucked into hype, and especially if it is unavailable or very desirable. Feel like I've gone full circle now, and for 60 - 70 % of pedals have come back to those I owned 2 - 4 years ago, but sold because of Nextopia. Magazines reviews I care less about (maybe because I am always thinking that pedalmakers after all are one of their major targetgroups for advertising).

I have now stopped buying, just to sell / trade a couple of days or a week later because it wasn't the sound I was looking for or it didn't work for me. I give them time and try to "learn" the pedal. Even after my initial impression was that I didn't like it, I hold on to it for a while and revisit. Maybe I am just trying to fool myself to control my GAS??

How about you? Plug-play-sell/trade (within a day or a week)? Give them time and test in context? Influenced by hype/hate? Flavor of the week?

Heady Jam Fan

I think we should design the worst sounding rig possible, put it in the hands of the best guitarists known and see how much it truly matters

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I think we should design the worst sounding rig possible, put it in the hands of the best guitarists known and see how much it truly matters
Ask and ye shall receive!

Satch playing his signature instrumental on crappy gear, not even a whammy bar in sight:

Eric Johnson on his practice amp:

crxshdxmmy

If I like something, I'll keep it until I don't anymore. Or until something that I think I'll like better comes along. Sometimes this lasts days, sometimes years. IMO, life is far too short and there are far too many options out there to settle for gear that doesn't completely work for you or doesn't completely wow you. So whether the 'like-cycle' is 3 days, 3 years... or never really happens at all — just play the stuff you love.

Heady Jam Fan

True. And the opposite scenario, the best rig in the hands of a crappy guitarist.
Lol - I have heard this too many times! I hate walking into a GC and hearing terrible musicians plugging GC's nicest guitar into a Marshal 4x12.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Satch playing his signature instrumental on crappy gear, not even a whammy bar in sight:

Eric Johnson on his practice amp:

Nice - I am at work or I would take a listen... on that note, many of my favorite classic rock recordings were done (purportedly) on a tiny little amp. I don't know if that is evidence that a little practice amp can sound good, or evidence that a good player sounds good on any gear?

theroan

I've come to the realization that nothing is safe on my pedalboard. If it no longer suits my needs or something better comes along then I switch things up.

When I consider something new I also take into account:
- Price
- Sound and build Quality
- Pedalboard friendliness
- Flexiblity

I think the magazines are good for looking at an item by its own merits. On TGP we tend to use the list above the when reviewing i.e.

"The timeline is cheaper than (blank)"
"It sounds better than (blank)"
"The Timeline is smaller than (blank) but bigger than (blank), but I only have this much space on my pedaltrain (blank)"
"The timeline has the brig and el cap algorithms but the timefactor has dual delay times on all types."

TGP reviews with a knowledge of the whole guitar market place. Then again, how many people bought Alpha Drives?

tnt365

I've been going through amps for almost 3 years, moving and rehearsal needs and, most of all, curiosity spark my amp GAS. Tons of great amps out there, honestly, but I have noticed one thing. Every time I switch an amp I always adjust my pedals accordingly. In the process I've bought and sold a ton of pedals, many times owning the same pedal twice or more (SRB808+ twice, Carbon Copy twice, BOSS NS-2 three times). For me its all utility and blend, most often I get things wrong and have to sell/buy again. I don't really buy into hype, I read descriptions and reviews and then decide if I think it will blend well with my rig or not. Price is an issue but pedals are relatively cheap, I just cut out spending in other areas of my life to afford it. It's worth it, to me.

teleclem

I keep what I like/use. If it doesn't get used, I sell it. Reviews are nice when you're still shopping around. But once it's with me, I let my ears/hands decide.

mysticaxe

I have an agreement with my wife - money already spent on equipment can stay on equipment, money not spent on equipment shouldn't be spent. That puts me in a "keep it until I find something I want to try more" mode. I'm about 2/3 the way through a pedal revolution over the last 4-5 months, but before that, I hadn't moved anything around in over a year...

Trending Topics