How do you graduate HS at 14?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hellbender, Mar 26, 2015.

1. hellbender

hellbender Member

I've always wondered how secondary schools handle super smart students. What is the procedure for a student that can handle the graduation requirements at a young age? Do they just give them a test and boot them out if they pass. Who designs the test?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I did it at 16 by testing out of 8th and 12th grades.

My daughter did it at 15 by taking advantage of a program that let her go straight from 10th grade to college.

Really young like 14, I don't know. I'd imagine it's just by passing higher level courses.

3. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I think it depends a lot on your state requirements. Many students take extra classes at night. But I don't think my state (AZ) has ways to "test out" an entire year of schooling as far as I know. Things could have changed, though.

4. hellbender

hellbender Member

After googling, it appears that a certain number of credits are necessary in a variety of subjects for graduation. I assume high schools can assign whatever amount of work, the student is willing to take on and when completed, they have to graduate them.

5. LanEvo

LanEvo Member

I graduated at 15.
    I skipped a year of middle school and another year of high school.
    Plus, my birthday is in May, so I was already on the young side compared to my class.

Started college right away.
    Not sure it was the greatest thing to do.
    Looking back on it, I was immature and didn't really get the most out of college.

6. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

^ I was wondering about that. I think it's good that high schools are offering college credit classes now.

7. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

Neither did I, but at least YOU have a good excuse.

:cry:

8. sahhas

sahhas Member

CA used to have a process where you could test out of HS, i just remember dweezil zappa (and i'm sure others) did it, and he finished HS early. remember reading about it, not sure of the details of it, or if they still offer it?

at my old job a few years ago, there were a group of siblings who were the same age as my older son at the time (10) and they were in college!
    it was a little strange to see, but i guess they were smart.

now my wife had some real concerns with it all...especially with kids this young. she made the pt: how are they going to handle some of the material that is handled in rhetoric or other areas that you deal w/ in college (sexual content, issues, etc).
    her pt was: they may be book smart, but they are not MATURE smart, nor
    did they really have the maturity to deal with these things.

i would not want my child to be dealing with such issues at such a young age. kids need to take time to mature socially as well as being smart.
    i think we forget about social development a lot when dealing with kids.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

That's a problem, but not all kids are suited for high school. The basic curriculum is designed so that almost all kids can get through it with a bit of effort. Forcing a truly bright kid to move at that slow pace isn't doing them much of a favor either. My daughter who started college at 15 found the college environment much more conducive to learning and growing than high school, which was rife with drugs, sex and kids that still had a lot of growing up to do.

It's pretty naive to think that kids aren't exposed to just about everything sexual by the time they get out of middle school anyway.

10. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

11. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

16 and going to school with 18-22 year old girls...:bow LanEvo

That is like leagal high school boys hooking up with a teacher...

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I was in your same situation, (skipping grades/early B-day/graduating at 16).....and looking back, especially now as a parent, I'd NEVER allow my kid to do the same thing. "Maturity" is one key component for sure.....but the physical aspect was the thing that affected me the most, especially in High School.

I remember when I was a sophomore at 13, surrounded by a bunch of 16 year old kids that could not only drive, but run faster, have more strength, abilities, coordination......I felt so out of place.....and I was never able to successfully try-out to be on any High School sports team until my Junior year....(and I was still a bench warmer). And all the kids I had started my education with, a lot of my closest friends, well they were still in HS while I was at college..so those friendships faded.

13. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Probably most of TGP finished high school at 12 or 13.

14. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

this, lol
    the genius IQ percentage here is off the charts. Literally 65% of us have the same IQ (or higher) as Steven Hawking.

15. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

No offense, but I doubt a 16 year old wiz kid is hooking up with college co-eds.

16. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

I went straight from elementary school to teaching senior high. Anything less is uncouth and for lesser plebes.

17. s2y

s2y Member

Several PhDs before age 20. Most of TGP can honk if they passed p chem.

18. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Yep. Though the word you're looking for is "expelled".....not "finished". :)

19. beckstriad

beckstriad I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife Silver Supporting Member

Fixed that for you.

I'm actually poking fun at myself. I finished high school at 15, as well. So I guess I'm one the "geniouses" of TGP, too. ha ha My wife, friends, and family would beg to differ. :D

I do agree that finishing high school at that age and going straight into college makes college more difficult from a social standpoint. I grew up in a very conservative household, which I think made it even more difficult. I'm not sure if I would do it the same way again.

20. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

One Sunday there was a kid playing the organ before church as we all walked in and found our seats. He was ripping on the thing. It was amazing. It's a massive, beautiful pipe organ and I've never heard it played like that. Once he finished and the pastor kicked things off, he said the kid was 15 years old and was getting his PhD in physic at the local university. He was the youngest PhD candidate in the country at the time.

Anyways, these kids typically aren't majoring in subjects that require rhetoric and they typically aren't having to take the nonsense classes we had to take (like sex ed and tennis). They are studying physics, chemistry, math...