How do you guys do it?

padavis

Every time I play at a jam where others are smoking, it flat out kills me the next day. Nose is running, head is killing me(might be the volumes haha), eyes watering and red(don't drink so its not that), and it just lays me out. I guess I am just built more for the Praise and Worship scene even though I really like that good old rock and blooze...
Any early morning remedies for me???

Oh and I am not trying to condemn smokers. This is not a pissed of non-smoker thread... its more of a I am a wuss and wanting to know if there are any tips or tricks some of you really experienced players use! I know I'll be fine and get over it but any kickstart would be awesome!

it still surprises me when i hear stuff like this because they've banned smoking in bars here for so long, that i barely remember it.

i really don't know what to tell you other than to drink lots of water. maybe use some visine when you leave the bar.

Rhomco

Making UPS, FEDEX and USPS richer every day!
Gold Supporting Member
and found (non prescription now) Zertec to help a lot if I take it before going. A lot of establishments are going smokeless which is a blessing to us smoke allergy guys but I have more problems with smoker home based jams and practice sessions than clubs.
Good luck

darkstar11

Last night was the first night of the smoking ban here in North Carolina.

Played a gig last night and it was very "refreshing"... Came home and I was actually able to relax and have something to eat without having to change my clothes first.

I don't know what to tell you .. except try to duck out and get as much fresh air as possible before gig and on breaks.

padavis

Thanks guys. I will try to get some more water in me next time.
This was a home based jam and we all live in a smoke-free county and it was funny that EVERYONE was smoking. I guess that is maybe one of the reasons why they put it on...
I dont care if they smoke, its not something that is going to prevent me from going, thats for sure! I just want to go somewhere I can just show up and play and not have to entertain anyone or play a certain style.

Alister

Silver Supporting Member
Every time I play at a jam where others are smoking, it flat out kills me the next day. Nose is running, head is killing me(might be the volumes haha), eyes watering and red(don't drink so its not that), and it just lays me out. I guess I am just built more for the Praise and Worship scene even though I really like that good old rock and blooze...
Any early morning remedies for me???

Oh and I am not trying to condemn smokers.
You don't have to "condemn" smokers. They'll get condemned one way or the other.
You can instead just "follow the facts" of the situation, or put more simply: listen to what your body is telling you.
I smoked for 20 years, heavily, and trolled around gigging in smoke-ridden bars for many years after that. Now I'm 60, and now go to the doctor a lot.
Comprende?

It feels to me like you're trying too hard to rationalize this stuff. Everyone knows what smoke does to the smokers and others, and there are far more smokeless places that ever. You can find the "blooze" in lots of places now, and most of the pro-levell musicians I know (even the incorrigible smokers themselves) won't put up with other people's smoking.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Too bad. At my home jams we go outside to smoke.
We all smoke but do it outdoors.
No smoking allowed in my house though we both (wife) smoke.
Rule we made & kept when we bought our house ten years ago.

weezy

It's just plain gross ...and rude.. to smoke indoors in this day and age. Even when I smoked, (I quit about 8 years ago) I always went outside. Luckily, the year I quit was the same year they banned smoking in bars in my neck of the woods so it worked out well. If someone ever lights up a smoke indoors around me, I will tell them it's disgusting and they should go outside - if it's their house then I will leave immediately.

I jam a lot with lots of different groups of people - I have never been put in that situation. Every smoker I jam with is courteous enough to go outside for their stinkin' butts. The OP should consider jamming with more courteous people - I can only imagine how distracting all that smoke must have been.

Julia343

Okay, I've got an idea. Unfortunately it costs some money. Buy some Commit lozenges in the 4 mg size. Give your band mates one before the jam. Each lozenge lasts a couple hours. This will satisfy their nicotine craving while you are there.

leper messiah

It's just plain gross ...and rude.. to smoke indoors in this day and age. Even when I smoked, (I quit about 8 years ago) I always went outside. Luckily, the year I quit was the same year they banned smoking in bars in my neck of the woods so it worked out well. If someone ever lights up a smoke indoors around me, I will tell them it's disgusting and they should go outside - if it's their house then I will leave immediately.
You must be alot of fun at parties.

B_of_H

if you drink more then you won't be able to tell which is ailing you more.

then just man up. :)

(that is how I do it at least)

RustyAxe

Oh and I am not trying to condemn smokers. This is not a pissed of non-smoker thread... its more of a I am a wuss and wanting to know if there are any tips or tricks some of you really experienced players use! I know I'll be fine and get over it but any kickstart would be awesome!
I'm a smoker, but I NEVER smoke in the practice room or at a jam, nor do I smoke in my own house. I'll take it outside, even in the harsh New England winter (that alone keeps my butt count low ... :)). Besides, the smell of 30 year old smoke in a guitar, case, or amplifier is disgusting, and darn near impossible to eliminate.

Seems that someone ought to have the common courtesy to suggest that smokers take it elsewhere.

Swain

Try this:

Yes, Zyrtec or similar, as well as Motrin about an hour before going on stage. Also, ask for a Pitcher of Ice Water. Drink the whole Pitcher (or more!) before finishing your Sets.

Also, Fabreze is your friend! Take a can, and spray your clothes and gear lightly before the playing starts. And again in the parking lot (if it's a safe environment), before packing it all into your car.

This really helps.

ford

Modz
Staff member
Use an Allavert D before you go in.. that helps me a lot..then I usually just end up with a little throat tickle.. if I didn't take one.. it would be all over for a few days.

weezy

You must be alot of fun at parties.
It's "a lot"... and yes I am!

Don't get me wrong, I believe in 'live and let live', but when my breathing air is poisoned, I don't take it lightly. Keep in mind I am talking strictly about cigarette/cigar smoke here... :D

:bong

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
We had four hour show in a bar last night. I put the stage threads wehere they can air out, shower, drink lots of water, sleep, get up and take care of morning stuff, drink a cup of joe, and I'm ready!

No headache or anything...the shower and water is a big factor, I think.

DS