How do you guys feel about PRS SE stuff?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Phishy4, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

I got my nephew a used PRS SE Soapbar II for Christmas and was pretty surprised with how well it played (bought it from the shop my luthier works at so he did a great set up on it). I don't own any solidbody guitars at the moment and it got me thinking that maybe an SE Singlecut or something like it might not be bad for the money. What do you guys think? Would it be something worth buying used and maybe dropping some decent pickups and a Pigtail bridge on?

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

They are among the best Korean-built guitars I have seen.

Hardware is OK....pickups are OK.

3. sliberty

sliberty Member

+1.

I have had two of them (don't have any currently). The hardware is very workable, and the necks are quite nice. The Soapbar pickups were keepers, but the humbuckers on the Santana SE were not very good. However, with a JB and a 59, the guitar came alive.

4. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

I didn't mind the soapbars on my nephew's, but I'd definitely be getting one with humbuckers. So I'm thinking about dropping some Lollars into my custom hollowbody which has 59's currently, do you think that a pair of 59's would work well in the SE? I'm thinking they have to be better than what's in there. I do think the 59's in there are single conductors though, not sure if that would still work or not.

5. Radagacuca

Radagacuca Member

yep

6. small axe

small axe Member

they are not bad at all...for the price

7. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

I've owned two. A SE singlecut with trem and an SE One. The singlecut was good. Very lightweight, the neck was surprisingly comfortable with the wide/fat carve, and the pickups were vintage voiced. I didn't like the trem. That's the only thing about it I didn't like.

The SE One is a monster. One P90, one volume knob, and you're set.

Both have trouble with tuning stability, but a new nut and locking tuners, and it's rock solid. I liked them both enough that I'm thinking of getting a SE Singlecut hardtail eventually.

8. Steedee

Steedee Member

^ :agree

9. karma1

karma1 Member

I have a PRS Santana SE that I like a lot -very decent for the money. I bought it used as a project guitar to add mods to. I've spent more on the mods than the cost of the guitar, but now it's a unique instrument with a Sustainiac, Roland synth pickup, and a lot more. But it was fine in stock condition and well worth the $350 I paid for it.

[​IMG]

10. Phishy4

Phishy4 Member

Looks like I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled for a used SE Custom or Singlecut. I think if I can get one cheap enough I'll drop my 59's in it, get a pigtail, a nut and some tuners. I really like the idea of a fairly inexpensive guitar to gig with or take places up here because of the wide temperature swings we get (the lacquer on my old Mcinturff Polaris got tore up pretty fast gigging in the winter).

11. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

I can't speak about the other models in the SE line..but a friend of mine owns the Santana model ( stock) and I have to say I'm not much of a fan...at least not a fan of that model. The whole thing feels rather bulky and plastic.

12. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

A student had one, I thought it was nice enough. Good guitar for a budget-minded player.

13. tele_phil

tele_phil Member

I bought a PRS SE EG for my daughter ~2 years ago. It's a great guitar for the money. There are very few guitars that come close to the PRS SE at that price point.

14. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I have an SE Custom with vibrato that I bought used for $350. I put a bone nut in it last year, and just recently installed the Wagner Darkbursts that I took out of a guitar I sold into the SE. I just played it Friday at a church event that was sort of smooth jazz Christmas carols. The neck pickup sounded great clean for that. I look forward to cranking them up a bit. It plays great, and has sounded great at low volume.

John

15. tonesurfer

tonesurfer Senior Member

I went through 20-30 of them and found a really special one. Replaced the pickups with Motor City PAFs and the electronics with RS and it honestly sounds as good as some of the nicer private stocks I've played (though it doesn't have the look or feel of a PS by any means).

16. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I've had an SE Soapbar II for a few years and I really like it. The pickups were fine though I replaced them anyway. The bridge is a nice lightweight piece. The tuners keep tune fine (once I dressed the nut) though folks complain about them, I promise, they don't "slip".

It's a nice guitar.

17. acrtl1000s

acrtl1000s Member

I've got a Singlecut stoptail and I will never get rid of it. I'm still learning, but its a great instrument for $600 new. got it in February from GC in Sam Antonio and haven't had a setup or anything yet.

18. dunara

dunara Member

I have an SE Soapbar II. £147 off Ebay. Wonderful guitar. Had to choose to sell it or a Les Paul Junior about a year ago. The Gibson went....

Great fretting, fabulous pickups, stays in tune really well. It's a 'go to' gigging guitar.

19. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

I compared a single-cut one to an Epi LP (also Made in Korea) and the Epiphone was a lot better.

20. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

My buddy has a singlecut and it will not stay in tune with 9 gauge strings. with ten's it is fine though. They are nice.