How do you guys feel about the Mesa Mark IIC+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Tell me what you think.

2. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

great amp... a classic... NOT modern gain...
    sweet mid focused, lead/gain tone that is transparent and really represents your guitar tone well. Clean channel is awesome and very flexible. Reverb is decent, not fender quality. Better on clean than gain side.

I've played mine through several speakers... I like: G1265>V30>EVM 12L>Mesa C90>Celestion CL80>G12H30 types. Best versatile cab:Mesa 2x12 3/4 back with C90s although I would swap one out for a V30 if I had another of those cabs... I currently use a Mesa vertical 2x12 w/V30s and love it.

IMO prefers a hot pickup... HBs or single coils/HB with a treble biased boost.

There is NO bass with the gain channel... none.
    Crunch tone is awesome and the lead tone is addictive.

I think a surprise of this amp is master up and pre down a little... this Really opens the amp up and adds punch to the gain side.

Amp prefers volume... Master above 1.5-2 on gain side with pre 7+. It just roars here. However, it's decent at lower volumes.

If you find one... GET IT! you can always sell it and in the mean time will enjoy it... just remember, they are 25 year old amps and do not sound modern.

to answer your question, it's a great amp with plenty of utility for various gigs/venues. Few will match the warm addictive sustain this amp offers.

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Just a bit of background...

I have a lead on a 1984 short head, EQ, Simul-Class. I've owned two Mark IVs and absolutely loved them, and the IIC+ is always spoken about as the holy grail of the Mark series.

On that basis, what d'ya reckon?

4. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

The IIC+'s don't get enough credit for the dynamics of the amp. They are really do it all amps, and are super controllable through volume control and pick attack.

5. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I've had one for a year or so, I think.
    I've been playing it a bit this week, doing the trainwreck hting of setting a high gain tone, and then playuing wiht the volume knob on guitar etc, which is does very well.
    I just had a high-octane blast now for a half hour, plugged into half of a 412, with my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 plugged into the other side for comparison. MIne is graphic eq, non-simulclass running 2 6L6's in 60 watt mode, cos I had a bad tube, so I pulled two tubes til I could get a new one, and have not bothered to put the other 2 back in. I was playing a 1998 R9 with 57 classic pups. Cab is a H&K412 with well broken greenies, that has a distinct crunch character.
    First thing that jumps out is how brutally loud it is. I had to near dime the Bad Cat to barely match the IIC+ on 2. My amp is quite bright, but what also stand out is how evenly all the frequencies shine. The bass trings have balls wihtout flub, but he higher stings sing wiht clear complex harmonics and sustina forever. It also never ets tone suck with wah etc. The taper on the MV is sharp, and you go from pleasantly loud to hang wiht a drummer, to blast him off his throne between 1.5 and 2.
    Did I mention that these things are loud ?? You can get wonderful tones at modest volumes though. You do not get the ultra thick dense distortion of a modern Rdctifier or other brewtal metal amp, but what you do get is probably better. I would be surprised if ther was a better amp for cutting through a mix. It's just so super-defined. I've only played a Mark IV briefly, and did not explore the high gain side, so I can't compare that.
    If you can grab one, I would.

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Thanks for the review man.

7. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Try it, has all the options so you should be able to resell it if need be. No brainer if you liked the IV imo.