How do you guys play your 1974X?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teddy boy, Jul 18, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi,

I'm a proud new owner of a Marshall HW 1974X. I've been wanting one for ages and finally found a used one in moint condition for a great price.

I've been jamming a lot and found loads of nice tones. I was wondering how other owners use theirs...

Which channel do you primarily use?

Do you jump the channels with a patch cable?

If so, which channel do you insert your guitar into?

At what levels do you play? If you jump channels which channel is louder?

I most often jump channels plugging first into the tremolo channel which I run at about 3-4 and the normal channel at around 6. Sounds tremendous with my Gibson Les Paul R8. My strat sounds fantastic too, and no need to fool around with the tone control on the amp, I can just swap guitars on the trot. Great!

B.T.W. Have you ever experienced the volume decresing while jumping channels if the two channels are at the same volume? I.e. say your normal channel is set to 5 and the tremolo at 3. That's pretty loud already, but bring the tremolo channel up to 5 to and as the volume bears on to the 5 position the volume dies out a bit. Normal?

2. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I played mine dimed on the non-tremlo channel. No jumping. It was all you could ask from an amp.

3. krash

krash Member

the channels are out of phase, so when you jumper them and set them to the same volume level, one channel tends to cancel the other out. that's normal, a side effect of the amp's design.

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i run my 1974x lite clone WIDE OPEN....lol...the knobs go to "11" too...

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Anybody else? C'mon there must be more users!! Clones too...

6. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

Oh yea! I've been playing a Strat '57 Vintage Reissue and a Tom Anderson Cobra through the 1974cx and cx 1X12. i've been playing at the house at low volumes 7-11 :rotflmao ; either channel works well with tone adjustments from the guitars.

The tone on the amp works a bunch of different ways, at least for me. So get your notebook out and start writing the different levels for V&T and guitar tone positions. Or just follow the directions, plug in and guess you got it set right. I'M PROBABLY SICK BECAUSE I DO IT THAT WAY. BUT IT SEEMS TO WORK FOR ME.

The Keeley Compressor fits in and out of the sound so evenly I can't tell it's off or on unless I'm saturating the heck out of those smooth m7 flat 5's with with my Strat..

I respect the cleans I'm getting from the amp. They are obviously in a different zone but they sure sound good. The Keeley KATANA Clean Boost is having fun in that new zone. It likes the 1974cx very,very much.

We are having fun!

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi CNOTE,

Yep, it seems pretty difficult to get a bad sound from the 1974X. Loads of combinations so a note book would be handy indeed!! You are right, the cleans really are not that bad.

I quite fancy the sound with my Timmy too with amp volume at around 4 to 5. Smooths the tone out just a bit.

8. pepi

pepi Member

I've got the JA IronSound clone and I run it around 7 -8 on the TMB channel and I dime the other channel. The JA has a neg feedback switch that really helps add a lot of headroom. Mine sounds great with my Lester or Tele or Strat or SG or ....... ;)

9. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

Les Paul, Non trem, tone on 8, vol on 8.

The only way to fly :RoCkIn :BEER

10. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

My favorite way is bottom left input, (non-trem) volume maxxed, tone ~8.
    Jumpering channels doesn't necessarily put you out of phase. The amp comes with a manual. In there, they tell you how to jumper channels. I tried it. I think it's on the Marshall site, too. I like just going straight in better.

I like the cleans on this amp when you just roll the volume back, but I don't really play that way. As for setting the amp clean? It starts getting dirty at ~1.5, and bass doesn't appear until ~ 6, so I don't like it much that way. Still good sounds there, but no resonance/thump until the amp is working.

11. myles111

myles111 Member

That is how most folks I know play them.

12. myles111

myles111 Member

Correct-o-mundo .... every tube stage flips the signal 180 degrees and the trem is another "stage" so to speak thus ... out of phase to the non trem side.

That is also why a Fender Black/Siverface is out of phase to older Marshalls.

13. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

I like both channels, but believe it or not, I have a slight preference for the Trem channel. I actually know of a few folks like that. I normally keep the volume at maybe 5 or so--in my experience, you don't get much more audible volume after that point. I keep the tone around 8 as well. A great amp. I have both a home-brewed clone I built as a head and a Blockhead 1x12 combo.

14. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I generally go into the trem channel, tone on about 6, dime it, and ride a volume pedal to get clean tones. I think the cleans rock! I don't get to fussy with the tone control. It doesn't have a huge sweep and it sounds good every where.

How do people run the tremolo? I have mine at about noon on intensity and 10 o'clock for speed.

Martin

15. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Not correct on this amp. It's in the manual.

Performance Note: Bridging or ‘jumping’ the two channels​
    Because both Channels of the 1974X have the same number of gain stages (one) and are therefore in
    phase with each other, it is possible to bridge them together (a.k.a. ‘slaving’, ‘jumping’, ‘linking’ or even
    ‘daisy-chaining’) and use them both at the same time – providing you use the Tremolo Channel as the
    primary (the reverse won’t work due to the way Channel 1’s two identical inputs are configured). Doing this
    enables you to expand upon the amps tonal possibilities by mixing the two channels together.
    The most common way of doing this is to plug your guitar into the top (high sensitivity) input of the Tremolo
    Channel and then run a short ‘jumper’ guitar cable (i.e. a screened cable) from the Tremolo Channel’s
    bottom (low sensitivity) input to either one of Channel 1’s two identical inputs.
    It is also possible to plug your guitar into the Tremolo Channel’s bottom (low sensitivity) input and then run
    the ‘jumper’ cable from its top (high sensitivity) input to Channel 1. This less common approach can yield
    some interesting tonal variations.​

16. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I run the vibrato channel. Mostly because I can then hit it with a boost pedal. The normal channel has more low end and gain, however when I hit that channel with a clean boost it gets too swamped out, even with a Strat. The vibrato channel is coupled with smaller caps, making the low end not as deep which works better IMHO if you really slam it with a clean boost pedal. I like the cleaner range of the vibrato channel, and I can then totally take the amp over the top (even with single coils) with the boost pedal and still have tight lows. I was using a Keeley Katana, but lately I like the cheap Seymour Duncan "pickup booster" pedal even better as it is not as noisy and doesn't thump when you click it in. Even with the boost pedal you can work the amp from the guitar for clean, though you just have to back off even more.

I always run the amp on 10, with the tone on 4. To get cleaner tones I just back down the guitar. Most gigs the amp is actually a little too loud (according to the band that is...) so I attenuate it about 2-4 db with either my THD Hotplate or Dr. Z Airbrake.

Also I usually run the 1974x in an AB setup with a '64 Fender Deluxe for the totally clean stuff. Works very well, and I made a stacking platform to put the Fender on top leaving about 3-4 inches so that the Marshall breathes fine. I also run the 1974x out into a a separate little attenuator/line device which allows me to runs delays on the Marshall "post amplifier". I then use the 2nd channel of the Fender to "reamp" the delays of the Marshall giving me sort of a mini "Eric Johnson" delay rig.

By the way after 2 years of no troubles my 1974x blew it's power transformer. Apparently the early production amps had a bad batch of trannys. I got an "upgraded" part from Marshall under warranty. Apparently Marshall upgraded the trannys in the current production amps about a year ago, I don't know the exact time frame. The "upgraded" tranny has about a 1/4" thicker core. My amp also had about 4 bad solder joints that just weren't flowed out enough. The wires were wiggly and barely made connection. They looked ok at first glance, but you could pull the wires and see the connections were barely holding. Still, it was an easy fix to clean up the connections. I will say whoever soldered up my amp did an amazingly clean job, it's just that they didn't quite use enough solder on a few spots. I guess I'll mention I'm still on the original tubes and they are holding in there fine.

I know, a long winded reply. Cheers, G

17. myles111

myles111 Member

The way you run this amp and the length of time on the output set .... well, try to borrow a fresh set of EL84's. You may think the amps is holding up fine (that it, making sound come out of the speaker) but I think you will find that a fresh output set will make a very noticible change.

18. krash

krash Member

Well the question is, then, are they really using the same old design as old legit 1974 amps? Or have they changed the way the channels are wired into the PI?

On a 1974 or a regular 18W amp of ye olden days, the trem channel feeds one side of the PI, and the normal channel feeds the other. They each have only one tube stage (the trem does not add a stage ... the normal channel has both triodes paralleled when using the hi input). Since they feed opposite sides of the phase inverter, they are out of phase even though they have the same number of gain stages.

Now, if I am to believe the Marshall manual quote posted earlier, then this amp is not in fact like a "real" 1974 but rather feeds both channels into the same side of the phase inverter using mixing resistors. I didn't think this was the case but I don't have a Marshall schematic of a modern 1974X with which to verify my suspicion. I suspect the manual is in error, and while you can jumper the channels and get sound out of the amp, they are in fact out of phase.

Most trem/vibrato type 18W CLONES will have the channels out of phase AFAIK ... feeding opposite sides of the phase inverter.

19. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

I read somewhere that the manual was in error... either over on plexipalace or thelespaulforum.

Love this amp! I prefer the tremolo side. I run it at about 5 on the volume and 7 on tone.I hit it with a klon clean boost and sometimes an OCD (newer version). Sounds fantastic with either my strat or telecaster.

20. krash

krash Member

an error in the manual makes the most sense.

I have not played a 1974X but my GDS kit-amp does indeed rock.