How do you guys set up your tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jun 21, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I used to sit in front of the amp then dial in what sounded good from that distance. But these days, I like to stand about 7-10ft. away from the amp, and then dial in my tones based on the audiences perspective.

Is this a bad idea? A lot of the clubs/bars that I play at don't mic us, so I just opt to open the amp up :dude. Those are the times that I see this being useful, especially since the amp sounds completely different at that distance (more highs/mids come through, need to compensate for the bass loss/shrill highs).

But I could see this being somewhat problematic when the club does mic us.

2. fyler

fyler Member

i usually play & walk around as far as my cable will take me to see how the room sounds. beyond that, if it's being mic'd - it's up to the sound guy.

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Okay, so you take on the crowd's perspective as well. I feel bad for all of the shrill highs that I used to blast in their faces :).

4. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

if it's being mic'ed i squat in front of it, if not it depends on the room. sometimes i bounce it off a wall to keep people from being crippled by walking in front of my amp. the room changes depending on how many people are taking up space so sometimes the wall helps fill the room without being overly loud.

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I play for my Church and I have the amp speaker facing away from the people. I have it mic'd so I listen and eq according to what the mic hears, so I actually get my tone adjusted in front of the amp and then I fine tune what I hear coming out of the PA.

6. improv4

improv4 Member

I find that the I need to back off on the bass if I run the amp loud, especially when the tubes heat up well. Generally, the treble and mids are halfway or less; then, I eq with the dirt pedals to fine tune the sound.

7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

You're lucky to have that much control ;).

At some point, I want to buy my own monitors and bypass the house system completely.

8. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I do the 7-10 feet away thing. A little easier on your ears that way, too!

9. cram

cram Member

I play in a small club or out doors.
    After getting through adjustments on eq to make myself comfortable with the tone of the guitar for the area we're playing I make sure that I can hear myself on stage with the other musicians playing. I then capture a phrase or riff on a loop pedal and have the guys continue to jam with it. I walk around the place to hear dead spots or where someone'd have trouble with the sound.
    i heard scott henderson mention this [looping to do your own soundcheck] in an interview once so I've adopted it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  10. steveb

steveb Member

It is a good idea to do that. It has to sound good from the audience's side, or maybe nobody will show up when you play next time.:(

It's sometimes hard to find a good spot for the amp to face so that at least a couple of audience members don't get that nasty center of the cone thing in there face. But, you do what you can.

11. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

My personal secret recipe which I will now reveal, is that I turn everything up louder than everything else, *then*, I turn it up to 11...

12. Julia343

Julia343 Member

But what if your amp goes to 12?

13. steinwand

steinwand Member

what I do s to let someone else play a few chords
    and check the sound from various positions ...
    doesn't matter if I play with or without PA

14. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Weber Beam Blockers

15. Birddog

Birddog Member

+1. I always set it from out in front now. I had no idea how shrill my tone was until I started moving out a few yards. Now I'm less shrill but it's harder to hear myself if I'm not running through the PA/monitors....