How do you guys trade amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Harrison0811, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Harrison0811

Harrison0811 Supporting Member

If this has been discussed before sorry!

I've seen a lot of posts of trading amps ect.. Never thought much of it, but I've been offered a few trades lately and I was curious how people go about it.. it seems risky to me.

Does the person selling/trading the amp wait for the interested trader to send him the amp first, then once he receives it, send out the other amp?
    Do both people send out the amps at the same time with tracking numbers?
    I saw a sign at a shipping store that said "we assist in ebay trades" but no telling how much they might want for that.

Im sure a few people around here have dealt with it... maybe someone can help me figure this out!

2. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I drove 3.5 hours to meet a guy at a truck stop and swap amps. I brought an extension chord, my trusty beater guitar and cables. We played each others amps and long story short......we got married the next day...............ok so no, but we did swap and all is well. I also have traded guitars. I always prefer to talk with the person on the phone and run a few address/phone checks to make sure I am talking to the right person. Gearpagers are pretty honest from my dealings; and I've made at least 10 transactions here.

As far as who sends what first, discuss it with the other party. If you are the one looking for a trade, you might entertain sending yours first...the other party was gracious enough when we traded guitars to send his first as it was my first 'over the mail' trade. All went well and I would do it the other way in a heart beat.

3. Harrison0811

I would much rather do it in person.. but some of these locations are a bit far away. I don't know if I should just hold out and wait to sell it and then buy the other amp, or wait and maybe someone who lives closer pops up and has something good..

4. Sean French

Sean French Member

I've only taded an amp once.My Maz 18 combo for a Vicky 20112-T Deluxe and some cash.It was with a TGP member and we both have been around here for a good while.Basically you have the trade offer in writing per sales ad,PM or email.Then exchange numbers and talk about the trade.You'll get a good feeling or a bad one after discussing it on the phone.Most people are good and honest I like to believe.We sent the amps out on the same day and exchanged tracking munbers.
    No problems at all.
    It can be risky though.
    Go with your gut feeling.

5. Harrison0811

I see..

I can imagion there has been trades that have gone very bad.. but we will leave it at that.
    so I guess you have to develop a bit of trust for the person you are talking to, and if it fells good, go with it?
    I can handle that.. And I can agree with both of you, pretty much everyone Ive talked to, sold or bought something from on this site has been great and really nice.

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

That is why having a history here aside from the Emporium is a good thing. You are a participant here and not just a seller.

Of course, that is no guarantee.

You need to do your homework on who you are dealing with and make the move.

The influx of new members here makes it much harder to navigate, but this place is still the best place for me to deal.

Emee

7. Harrison0811

Yeah.. I've had a few people with no posts here, contact me and give me there name from Harmonycentral, and a few other places I've never heard of.. and made me a bit nervous. What about ebay names? I guess you could search that, but that is still a little different since with ebay the transactions are "legally binding" so they would have to play fair, and trading here is just on trust.

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

I've only done one trade. It was on TGP. It worked out well, and it was long distance (NY <> TX).

The key, I think, is communications. We talked on the phone a bit. Discussed details about our gear. We also discussed details about how we'd pack it. Ultimately, we both agreed on a ship date and when we'd provide each other the shipping information. Both of us have been on TGP for awhile.

It all worked as planned, but you have to get a sense of trust. It's always possible something could go wrong.

9. snoggin

snoggin Member

Hmm , I pretty much operate on faith.. That and get some references from someone else here that has done a deal with theperson in question. I have to say I have done like 12-15 deals here both buying and selling and have had nothing but good outcomes and square deals.

You always run a risk I suppose so it is up to the individual to decide how much risk is acceptable and what measures are necessarry to mitigate it.

10. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

I try to do amp deals in person. It is not that I don't trust people here. It is more so because amps don't ship that well. If you are going to ship, make sure you work out the shipping details. Realize that shipping companies are notorious for denying insurance claims if they did not pack the item themselves.

11. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Living between NYC and Philly, there is a ton of TGPers in the area. Meeting face to face personalizes TGP and I haven't met anyone here so far who I wouldn't want to call a friend. I have made many one hour trips up the Parkway and met someone at a rest stop to make the swap. No problems in about ten deals. I have also shipped several pieces across the country and all have gone according to plan.
    At the moment I have a Fargen BB and an Anderson Tele inbound. Shipping info has been exchanged and I certain all will go fine.

12. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I have made a few trades ;)

I generally will get a level of trust with a person. Call them get an address and check it out on google. That kind of thing.

I probably have done a couple of hundred trades (min) and have yet to have a really bad experience.

13. mike80

mike80 Member

I've done a couple internet trades with no problems. One was trading some speakers outside of Ebay (not legally binding), and the other was an amp through HC.

On the speakers, he shipped me the speakers first since I didn't have boxes, and when I got them I shipped my speakers back to him in the same boxes. He was just a few hundred miles north of me, so they were delivered the next day in both cases.

The amp, we planned to ship the same day, but he ended up getting his package out a day before I got mine out. Still, a good deal.

It helps to get all pertinent information beforehand just in case something does go wrong. Most people are good people though, but there are some scammers out there.

14. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I've done a bunch of trades on here and never had a problem.

Most of the guys here on TGP are just stand up guys and we just take care of each other like a brotherhood.

With that said, developing and having a good rep is a great thing to do to make future transactions a breeze.