How do you guys use your POGs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dean owens, Apr 27, 2016.

1. dean owens

dean owens Member

I just picked up a used Mooer Tender Octaver. I plugged it up and although it was fun to play with, I just didn't see it being something I'd keep around. Before I just go ahead and flip it, I was wondering if you guys could tell me how you use your POGs. I see them on so many boards, there must be a use for them.

2. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I have a Micro POG and I use it for two things - swells and to beef up a lead part or solo.

On volume swells, it makes the guitar sound like an organ in a cool way. For leads, I dial in the octave (up, usually) for about 50% and use it almost the way someone else might use a clean boost - something to kick on when I go for a solo or a lead riff that can make it pop out of the mix.

Minutes 2-5 of this video demonstrate what I mean:

I'm also a fan of running a bass into it and using the Octave Up to send the signal to a guitar amp, a la the band Royal Blood. Sort of a niche use but man, is it fun.

3. Bruce85

Bruce85 Member

I also use mine ala Royal Blood style.

I think we are going to see alot of that in the future.

plextasy and MattLeFevers like this.
  4. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

I have the POG2 which has so many more uses than micro POG. Lots of great faux organ/keyboard tones.

For practicing the POG2 is so great to add some much needed depth - to fill out the space. I usually just add a little 1 octave below, 1 + 2 octaves up. Sounds absolutely brilliant.

5. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

POG2: Cello mode. Effects loop of an analog delay.

NHBluesMan likes this.
  6. dean owens

dean owens Member

Thanks guys. I have a POG2 and I use it for cello, organ and shimmery stuff. But I guess I've never tried to used the POG2 for just octave effects.

7. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

POG2 - Bass line effects, I have figured out a nice organ / riff for the beginning of Sympathy for the devil cover that we play, the shimmer setting with delay is brilliant, I am now going to try out the octave up/octave below for lead tones like @MattLeFevers is doing - great idea / use.

I fool around with the theremin preset/setting as well - super cool

MattLeFevers likes this.
  8. jsummersett

jsummersett Member

My natural reaction when someone says they're not getting along with a popular effect is turn the effect down. I never knew what incredible things my Rat was capable of till I turned the distortion almost all the way down. Same with the Pog. I have a micro and a nano and I use them both with a mostly dry signal and a little upper octave and no lower octave. Fantastic for lead parts and ambient swells.

9. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Same here. I love using it to get something similar to Joe Satriani's tone on the song Super Colossal. I also run mine pre-drives, some guys prefer theirs post-drive, so maybe try both of those positions and see if you like one over the other

10. Byknfool

Byknfool Member

Agree... A little can go a long way with this pedal.

I use it for swells mostly. I also found if you do just a little octave up with an acoustic you get a bit of a 12string sound. Fun for some songs (i.e. Wish you were here)

coltonius likes this.
  11. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Tender Octaver and like it. I use the +octave with little -octave for playing classic songs like Purple Haze, but most of the time I have it set so the -octave is more prominent, with just a touch of +octave, and hit it when wanting to make some chords or a single note run sound heavier.

The key is to have the right mix of unaffected "Dry" signal. Too much effect and it's too artificial sounding. Turn up the Dry knob and turn down the + and - octaves, and mess with it some more before you sell it.

12. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

If I'm looping it's a nice way of getting some bass guitar.

If I'm playing a lead line sometimes it's nice to add an octave up.

It works really nicely for swells as well.

And an octave up and down mixed with dry signal sounds killer with fuzz.

Bshecko likes this.
  13. Bshecko

Bshecko Member

:dude

14. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I sometimes split my signal chain at a crossover, with all notes below B3 going to an octave up, and all above going to a slight detuner/delay (just a few ms) for a 12-string sound.

15. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

Had a Micro POG. Loved it as a fattener and especially with fuzz's. Ended up swapping it for an H9 Max, the Pitchfactor does the POG and then some (obviously a price difference). But manly I use octaves for lead lines and generating harmonies.

16. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I use a micro POG for an octave down fattening effect. Dry at max, octave down at 2/3, octave up at 1/3. Makes everything sound huge!