• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

how do you guys use your SM57's

Rockerduck

In the 70's, lots of people like me sang through them. I still have a sm57 and a beta57. I like singing thru the beta. It rejects sound well on the sides and you sing right in front.

stetyrrell

In front of my amp :bonk

I use mine slightly off the cone, around an inch off the grill for heavier tones. Occasionally, particularly if I'm doing any 7 string work, I'll mix a bass mic with the sm57 just to get a tighter low end.

For cleans, I use it off axis pointed just a little to the side of the cone, around half an inch off. Combined with a large-diaphragm condenser, normally an inch off the grill, but occasionally further back to capture more of the room.

pepperedmoth

hmm ive been wanting to try that...

recording with my SM57 and a friend's MXL 990 condenser mic. how would that compare to just recording with the SM57?

stetyrrell

hmm ive been wanting to try that...

recording with my SM57 and a friend's MXL 990 condenser mic. how would that compare to just recording with the SM57?
It's always worth a try, and if you don't like it you can just mute the track that the condenser is on and just use the 57.

stetyrrell

Move it further away from the centre of the cone. Back it off around an inch too. If that doesn't work, mess around with some post EQ.

Always stick on a set of headphones and mess around with mic positioning before recording anything.

LPVM

I have always put mine just off center of a speaker. On my last recording I was trying out my new MiniMass & reamped it's line through a power amp into a crappy pine cab. I thought I would try something different hoping to get a little more bottom from the cab's open back and capture some of the wet/dry effect of the set up.

This is where I put the mic:

This is how it came out:

tele_jas

I've had lots of luck with it just off centered and angled in (like the first pic), but if it's off even just a fraction, it could sound "off". The use of headphones to help dial in the position is a good tip. In some cases I have found that I get a more even sound if I pull the mic back about 2-3 inches.

Just mess with it and don't. Be afraid to try a few different ways.

chervokas

I've never been crazy about the SM57 for recording. It's good for live because it's nearly in destructible, and I do sometimes use it for recording guitar when I want to have a certain kind of punchy, 70s rock kind of tone, but I find them kind of mushy, muddy and kinda dead sounding.

I wind up using 'em much closer to on-center of the speaker than a lot of people would, and often a little farther back, sometimes a lot further back than some people use, because I usally find I want more openness and air than I find is typical of close mic'ed, off-axis SM57s.

When you say you want it more full what exactly do you mean? More lower mids? That's not, in my experience, usually a problem with an SM57. Try the classic position -- basically right up against the amp grill, a little off axis (how far you might need to experiment).

And remember, you might be used to listening to the amp way off axis, not actually hearing what the tone sounds like on axis and up close. A lot of guitarists don't keep their amps at ear level so they don't really know what the amp sounds like until they put a mic in front of it and listen. You may in fact have to make some eq changes at the amp level, and maybe do a little post production eq to get the guitar to sit where you want it to sit in the track.

ClickTrack

SM-57's are great for recording, but fantastic for live as well. Get a Z-bar or a cab-grabber and you're good to go. Though I must say, there's a youtube clip out there that compares the sm57 with the Sennheiser e609. I think the e609's going to be my next mic. It sounds significantly fuller IMHO.

Cirrus

I move mine around until I find the sound I like best. Sometimes it's right up close, sometimes central, sometimes on the edge of the cone, sometimes at an angle if I want to tame the top end a little, sometimes I pull it back to get less proximity bass boost... just depends.

p_wats

I removed the transformer from mine. It's got less gain, but sounds much smoother. I'll probably put it in a little breakout box so I can switch it in and out as needed.

MartinCliffe

I use my SM57s for toms. Replaced them with Audix i5s for live guitar cabs, and for recording I use a combination of Rode NT1A condenser and SE Electronics R1 ribbon mics.

djy8131

MartinCliffe said:
I use my SM57s for toms. Replaced them with Audix i5s for live guitar cabs, and for recording I use a combination of Rode NT1A condenser and SE Electronics R1 ribbon mics.
I switched my 57 for an audix too. Much cleaner. Now I know foh hears what I hear

RupertB

Silver Supporting Member
In the 80s, as vocal mics. Since about 1992, they've been used for mic'ing guitar amps (yes, the same ones).

falconer

I move mine around until I find the sound I like best.
To determine placement, I used headphones plugged into my mixer. Just run a signal through the amp, even something simple like the buzz from an instrument cable not plugged into anything, or a loop, then move the 57 around until you get the sound you like through the headphones.

Worked for me.

Trending Topics