How do you hang your guitars on the wall?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wattsup32, Jun 24, 2006.

1. wattsup32

wattsup32 Member

There are two reasons i need to hang my guitars on the wall: 1) I desperately need the floor space for amps, drums, and keyboard; 2) I find that I play each of my ladies more when they are already out of the case. I keep them on stands now, but the floorspace thing is an issue.

So, for those of you that do this, how do you do it? I don't want to leave any marks on the guitar from where the headstock touches the hangy-thingy nor where the guitar touches the wall. I'd like the guitar to maintain is condition.

Thanks for the advice. If you could let me know where to acquire the things you advise me to use that would be great!

Shawn

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i use string-swings. the wont hurt your finish where it hangs unless you have guitars with nitro finishes. it you do, just wrap some fabric around the rubber on the hanger...thats what i had to do w/ a few of my nitro guitars and ive had no problems yet, and its been a couple years now....

3. JSD

JSD Member

Heres a cheap solution, I use these $1.99 super hooks from Home Depot. They are ment for hanging garden tools, sludge hamers..etc and can hold up to 50 pounds and they are padded. Just screw it into a stud and your set.

[​IMG]

4. GoGoGuitars

GoGoGuitars Member

I highly recomend useing Off The Wall hangers. I have over a hundred guitars hanging from them and have never had a problem with the coating on them reacting with any finish. Over time, some other ones will leave marks on guitars. Off The Wall hangers do not.

5. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I use these Hercules mounts. The hinges that close around the neck give me confidence that they won't accidently fall:

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/hangers.html

never a mark on any of my guitars.... regardless of the type of finish.

Rick

6. Avenger

Avenger Member

I use String Swings. I installed them with four inch deck screws into the studs. This is definitely overkill, but it makes me feel safer. They are about $10.00 each.

[​IMG]

7. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

+1 NO problems so far.

I make my own Hangers.

[​IMG]

8. Boomer

Boomer Member

+1 for the Off The Wall hangers. Best I've seen or used.

9. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I've had String Swings for about 10 years. Just recently took them all down and replaced them with Hercules. No regrets.

10. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I just got a couple of these and they are great. I got them for the same reason: the hinges around the neck make me feel a little more confident in them.

11. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Do any of you find that the mechanism wears out so that they don't open easily with the Hercules ones? I've had problems with that with their floor stands.

12. Ponec

Ponec Member

I have been using String Swings for the last several years. One nice thing about them is that you can "bend" them in a little to hold a Tele or similar guitar with a narrow headstock.

Never had a problem with them.

[​IMG]

-Ron

13. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Same solution almost , board mounted to studs , stringswings to board , their bases cover the countersunk toggle heads .
    Extra Schaller buttons for hanging straps .

[​IMG]

14. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

No, I haven't. I've been using their floor stand for about 3 years now with no problems. Same goes for the hangers.

Rick

15. cubado

cubado Member

do the hercules screw with the nitro?

16. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Been using 'em for years
    be warned that if it is a lacquer finish you must cover the foam. I just use a sock... works great

HJ

17. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

+1 again.

Like whats been stated before the foam can affect you laquer finish. They can also put a dark spot on you unfinished brazilian necks.

But for the price they can be easily covered and you save a bunch of dough. Rock solid!

Been using them since they were $.99.

BG