How do you humidify your acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by FF71, Apr 4, 2020.

1. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

It automatically adjusts to the conditions.

slooky likes this.
  2. Fishermike

Fishermike Member

Automatic room humidifier. I keep my guitars out, but all in the same room.

3. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Florida. ‘Nuff said. :aok

4. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

5. shredtrash

shredtrash Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've tried it but it didn't work very well. What do you do?

6. davess23

davess23 Member

Used to keep my guitars in a humidified room, but nowadays I'm keeping them cased with Oasis soundhole humidifiers. I check and refill them regularly. The guitars have come through the winter just fine.

7. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

My room is 20x15ft and I personally use a large AirCare room humidifier and keep a hygrometer on the opposite end of the room. I set the humidifier at a setting that gets me 45% from the hygrometer and that setting usually is around 60%.

AIRCARE EP9 800 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier, Espresso

8. Shigs

Shigs Member

I do this with classical cedar guitars all the time. Get a boveda two way humidity pack. Hang it on the strings over the sound hole. I always put another behind the headstock. And stick in a case for 3 days.

9. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

If you want to leave it out where you can get to it quickly, or to show off its beauty, and the RH isn't ideal, and you don't have a whole-house or room humidifier—then put it in a controlled environment. Either put in a room humidifier or put the guitar in a glass case where you can place a small passive humidifier. The latter is what I do and it works like a charm. I can grab the guitar easily, yet it's always in a place where the HR is 45-50%. When the outside RH gets low I put in a couple of large pill bottles with holes in the top that hold small sponges soaked in water.

10. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I put a damp sponge into a plastic baggie and put it in the case during winter while the heat is on for all my acoustics and electrics. Keyword is damp and leave the top open to let it humidify. Costs pretty close to nothing.

11. Scottone

Scottone Member

Keep the guitars in their cases with Oasis humidifiers, have a room humidifier in my music room, and have a whole-home one on my furnace. Might be overkill :)

12. Parlorman

Parlorman Silver Supporting Member

Darbarian likes this.
  13. Knaggster57

Knaggster57 Member

How do you recharge them?

14. beeswax75

beeswax75 Member

You just soak a paper towel with distilled water, squeeze it out so it's damp, then wrap it around the Bovida pack, and then put it in a plastic ziplock for 24hrs. That's it. Sometimes you have to repeat to full charge it. Distilled water isn't mandatory but theoretically is better.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  15. Knaggster57

Knaggster57 Member

Thanks! I always have distilled water around and look forward to trying it. I just got 20% off on four of the 3 paks on GC a few days ago. Guess they’ll be around for a while lol.

beeswax75 likes this.
  16. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

I keep them cased, with a sponge inside the case in a ziplock bag with a few holes. I have a hygrometer in the case and when needed I’ll moisten the sponge slightly and that takes care of everything.

Like most things, it can be overanalyzed and made much harder than it really should be.

Oinkus likes this.
  17. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    Not too often a concern here in central/western Oregon, but when the rh% gets below 40 in my little home, I certainly pay attention... if it goes down into the mid-low 30's, I'll consider casing my guitars (3 acoustics, 2 electrics); when it goes below 30%rh, I'll put them in cases with soundhole gizmo w/ damp sponge (Planet Waves?), as well as a shallow plastic container w/ holes in the lid, filled with water beads, up by the headstock area of the case... keeps the neck hydrated.

Sometimes, when the rh% is just dipping down into the lower 40's, I'll throw a pot of water on and keep it simmering... gets the room up to +50% very quickly... and lasts for a decent while...

It's a pain in the butt, both because I love having my guitars out in front of me at all times, but also because my tiny home has no room for 5 cased guitars! Makes moving around a bit of an issue...

Fortunately, this has only happened once in the past 4 years I've lived in this place... and that was in the late winter. I think I'll be good to go from here on out!

18. miamimart

miamimart Member

May have already been posted but go to a Dollar Tree or something similar. Buy a plastic case to hold a bar of soap for travel. Also buy a 2 pack of sponges. Drill some holes in the travel case, cut the sponges to fit inside, dampen the sponges with DISTILLED water (keeps them from getting hard), then put it in your guitar case. Done

Joe O likes this.
  19. beeswax75

beeswax75 Member

I clarified a few steps with an edit so please read before trying. Needs to sit 24hrs and also need to squeeze the paper towel so it's only damp. When you know how to do something you sometimes skip steps/assume, so this should be more clear now.

20. Joe O

Joe O Member

If you use the sponges that have the anti-microbial coating, you don't even need to use distilled water. I've been doing a similar homemade setup for decades with just regular tap water. I've used the same sponges for years, no problem.