How do you install the "poker chip" to Gibson SG?

Wings

Is the "poker chip" just glued on to the body, around the pickup selector switch, or does it stay on by virtue of the pressure from the selector switch nut? If the latter, any instructions on how to install it? I can't see to find a video on my search. Thanks!

Wings

Think of it as a big washer. It just goes under the nut.
Got it! I saw a video showing how to do it with a Les Paul, and it involved opening the back cover for the selector switch. The SG has no separate back opening. So I was confused.

So, if I unscrew the nut, it will just come off, keeping the pickup selector switch in place? Then I put the "washer" in and screw the nut back?

Wings

I'm not sure. I didn't even open the back plate. I've never opened them on guitars before!

musicman1

Got it! I saw a video showing how to do it with a Les Paul, and it involved opening the back cover for the selector switch. The SG has no separate back opening. So I was confused.

So, if I unscrew the nut, it will just come off, keeping the pickup selector switch in place? Then I put the "washer" in and screw the nut back?
Isn’t the switch accessible from the back plate on an SG?

When I put one on my Les Paul I tried to just unscrew and rescrew the nut from the top but there was not enough threads left to screw nut back on. I had to remove the rear plate and found some washers acting as spacers on that side. Removing one of them gave me the extra threads I needed so you might need to do something like that.

Wings

When I put one on my Les Paul I tried to just unscrew and rescrew the nut from the top but there was not enough threads left to screw nut back on. I had to remove the rear plate and found some washers acting as spacers on that side. Removing one of them gave me the extra threads I needed so you might need to do something like that.
Got it, thanks!

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Why would you want too? Confused which way is which? ;)

Longer threaded nut, if no PC is on there now you might have to get one of these long threaders to make it work.

Wings

Why would you want too? Confused which way is which? ;)

Longer threaded nut, if no PC is on there now you might have to get one of these long threaders to make it work.
Wait, what? What do you mean?

I was thinking of getting a black poker chip because I'm switching the knobs to the "witch hat" and feel the black poker chip makes everything look uniform.

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
I'm just fooling around, I am ardently "Anti Poker Chip" as I don't see the point. Trying to match or other elements, that makes sense though I would still leave it off personally. But you might need a shorter threaded nut with no PC on there if you did leave it off. Unscrew that sucker and see if the PC falls out/off, then try screwing it back down tight enough to not have the 3 way move.

Wings

I'm just fooling around, I am ardently "Anti Poker Chip" as I don't see the point. Trying to match or other elements, that makes sense though I would still leave it off personally. But you might need a shorter threaded nut with no PC on there if you did leave it off. Unscrew that sucker and see if the PC falls out/off, then try screwing it back down tight enough to not have the 3 way move.

That's a lovely guitar! The SG came without the poker chip from the factory, and I don't have one yet to try! But I will, soon.

Juan Tuthri

Silver Supporting Member
Just to add a little extra to the topic, you can get a recessed nut that can lower the whole switch assembly a little deeper into the body therefore making the throw of the switch a little nicer. I like them better that way.

You might need a couple of washers on the inside cavity since the SG top is thin.

Wings

Just to add a little extra to the topic, you can get a recessed nut that can lower the whole switch assembly a little deeper into the body therefore making the throw of the switch a little nicer. I like them better that way.

You might need a couple of washers on the inside cavity since the SG top is thin.
So the amount of switch level that juts out of the guitar top is reduced?

Do you have a link to where you got the recessed nut?

Juan Tuthri

Silver Supporting Member
So the amount of switch level that juts out of the guitar top is reduced?

Do you have a link to where you got the recessed nut?
I'll be happy to whip one right up for you.

Is this going on an actual Gibson or an Epi/import? Metric/standard? In either case has anyone changed out that switch before?

Trending Topics