How do you keep from stomping on other pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrm, Apr 3, 2008.

1. jrm

jrm Member

So yesterday I picked up a used Pedaltrain Pro and it is great. However, I've never played with pedals set up in two rows like they are now. I am finding that when I reach back to click on a pedal from the second row I am still stepping all over the pedals in the front row... knocking settings around, etc.... Is there some trick I am missing? How do you guys handle this?

2. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

use your toe.... good balance is key too... i recommend several months of hacky sac training :)

3. Thor

Thor Member

Switchers for me. I have a PT-pro and have it all through two 5-loop switchers. My feet are too big to tap dance on a crowded board.

Pedals that I do want to tap on I try to place in an optimal/less tight area.

Cheers,

Edward

4. RockDC

RockDC Member

Build a riser that sets about an inch high.

5. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking as I have a Pedaltrain Pro in the mail. Improving the angle of the pedals can only make them better accessible.
    Gary

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Bingo.
    That's why I chose an NYC pedalboard with a 2 1/4" high tier for the back row of pedals, and a 1" tier for my wah. No problems now!

7. mprvise

mprvise Member

Wear cowboy boots on the gig. I once had a bass player ask me if that's why I wear them - truthfully it is one of the reasons.

8. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Angle your foot so the little toe hits the pedal you want. Also makes you look like your dancing.

9. illini

illini Member

+1 to the two tear idea. I have also built a pedal board with a slope to it, and it worked quite well.
    Other than that, I try to place the pedals I need to step on the most in the easiest place to get to.

10. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Chinese foot binding?

11. RDM

RDM Senior Member

[​IMG] What I did is put my most commonly used pedals in front and the others in the back. [​IMG]

I have a size 15 shoe...so it's damn near impossible for me not to hit other pedals. [​IMG] I followed the advice of someone here (Flyin' Brian perhaps? [​IMG]) and put some of those garden hose washers under the knobs of a few pedals. That's pretty much solved the problem of knocking knobs around. [​IMG]

12. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Two-tier all the way for me, custom built my own board.

13. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Gotta have some angle to the board if not tiers. I don't see how people use pedalboards that are huge and flat. Unless you are using loopers/TB switchers it would be a pain in the a$$ for me.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I made a pedalboard out of a "shoe shelf" from Ikea...metal with holes in it, that rises about 10" or so in the back. I cut it down to size, change the rise, so it is about 5" above at the back, and add a power supply holder underneath, works great. Liked it so much I made another.

I think the key is that you have it raised a little in the back. Also, logistics...country & western folk have it easy with those pointy toes, but footwear can help (no big, wide sneakers, combat boots, etc.) as well as spacing, work on accuracy. Looper strips are the best, because it not only helps with this problem but also keeps your sound better AND keeps you fom having to stretch to the back rows...also you can load SEVERAL pedals at once...I mean you can in a way "preset" that delay and OD will be on, keep the looper bypassed til you want them both then kick off bypass...on switch to turn on two pedals at once!

15. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

bypass loopers are the way to go! it fixes so many things.

ive got loopers on my board, and to make room, ive mounted some pedals underneath the board and just turn them on with trubypass looper. of course they are drive pedals i dont adjust much, and it works, and... if a pedal fails, you just take it out of the loop.

16. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I put on a slinky black dress and pumps with super-pointy extra-long toes. I can barely nail one switch with those shoes, much less two.

And the dress is so LIBERATING ; ^ ]

17. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

As far as protecting settings, I bought some rubber hose washers and installed them under the knobs I wanted to keep constant like below.

[​IMG]

18. radcliff

radcliff Member

I stomp the back row with my heel, I find that it works pretty well instead of angling my toe into the second row....

I also keep the most used stuff in the front

19. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Great idea!

20. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

wear converse tennis if your feet can stand them.
    they are hip (or something), and you have a feel for
    whats under your foot.
    Me? well converse sometimes...the feet can't take that all the time.
    I find some boots give more precision then others, and I take a very careful approach and hit em with my toe...
    taking a flying leap off a halfstack on to a stompbox isn't a great
    way to do it. :)