How do you know if your Celestion is UK or CHINA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by elpelotero, Mar 7, 2006.

1. elpelotero

elpelotero Member

Is there a marking somewhere on the speaker that would tell me? I have a Mesa 412 Std. Recto Cab made in 2005 w. Vintage 30s. One broke and I have to replace it. The stickers say SUFFOLK, ENGLAND. BUT!! there's no "MADE IN" ENGLAND. How do i know these speakers aren't from the China factory? How can I buy a V30 to match what I have already?

2. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Silver Supporting Member

According to Dave at Avatar, "Most of the Celestion guitar speakers with regular ferrite magnets have been made in China for the last few years. The Alnico Blues, Century Neo and Vintage Neos are currently made in the UK Factory."

3. amper

amper Member

If it doesn't say "Made in England", it wasn't. The Mesa Vintage 30's are still made at the UK factory, if that's any consolation.

4. bscepter

bscepter Member

And I'll mention it again, because it bears repeating: the new "Vox" Blues that are OEM speakers on the Vox AC30CC2X are Celestion AlNiCo Blues that are made in China.

This info comes straight from Mitch Colby at Korg/Vox. And he says they actually sound better than the U.K. versions. In any case, "Made in China" doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. It does, however, mean they're cheaper. Something that isn't reflected in the amp's retail price.

The Celestion-branded Blues are still made in the U.K.

Which means, you can order an AC30CC2 with the stock Wharfedale speakers for $999, buy a pair of U.K.-made Blues from Avatar for $500, save $100 and have a pair of spare 12s to boot!

5. backwater

backwater Member

I have a pair of Celestion Century Vintage speakers (the neo's) made in 2005 and they are made in China. :angel

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Have a look on the rim of the frames - there should be a small (sometimes faintly stamped) 'Made In Engand' on the edge. Chinese-made ones have a larger 'Celestion' stamp in the same place.

Mesa still use UK-made Celestions throughout, so if they're original to the cab they will be. The only way to get one is to go via Mesa as far as I know.

edit - I've recently picked up a pair of '92 Classic Lead 80s (which are definitely UK-made, it's before the move to China on any of the standard professional guitar speakers, and they have UK-style frame printing) which do say 'Celestion' not 'Made In England' on the frames. So obviously that isn't an accurate indicator either.

7. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

Just wanted to back this up. I've got a handful of friends that think the CHinese speakers are awesome.

S.

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I purchased my Recto 4X12 w/ leather/wheat grill for $640 brand new in 1995. I don't see them using the English product at that price. John, are you sure about Mesa still using Made In England V30's, because the Celestion history I've read seems to indicate otherwise? Even at $100/pc, thats $400 for speakers plus $90 to ship the cabinet, that doesn't include cabinet material, labor. I'm almost for sure they are Chinese speakers, but maybe I got a hellova deal.

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I can't be totally sure now, but when I spoke to Randall Smith a couple of years ago he was adamant that they never had and would not be using Chinese Celestions, either V30s or their custom Black Shadow 90s. (I'm not even sure the V30s were made in China as early as '95, BTW - the changeover didn't occur uniformly across the range AFAIK.) Don't forget that bulk prices to a large manufacturer are WAY below retail too.

I'm also not too surprised that Celestion don't advertise the fact that some of their speakers are still made in the UK for one manufacturer - because then the question of course is why, when the Chinese ones are cheaper. FWIW, I don't disagree that some people might find the Chinese ones sound 'better' than the UK ones. They sound different - some models more than others IMO - and tastes vary. I happen to prefer the UK ones.

10. elpelotero

elpelotero Member

So I have to ignore the big black sticker label on the magnet and look at the silvery metal rims for a "made in england" stamp? And if it the stamp says "celestion" it is chinese. Man, i'd be really pissed if i saw celestion when i get home tomorrow night b/c i paid good money for that damn Mesa cabinet!

11. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Mesa's are all UK. Regarding Chinese vs. English, it's a debate that will carry on forever, but the reality is that the soft parts are pretty much the same as they've always been, and machines were moved to China from the original UK factory. Oh, and the Century is made in the UK....but the Century Vintage is China. Cheers, Rick

12. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Thanks John, and Rick!

13. amper

amper Member

Don't forget, the Mesa/Celestion Vintage 30 is slightly different than the Celestion Vintage 30. The only way to get the version that Celestion makes for Mesa (higher power handling) is to get it from Mesa.

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The early V30s were always rated at 70W like Mesa's ones. It was only later they were 60W. I don't know if this happened at the same time as the move to China (I thought it was earlier, but I could be wrong)... or if Mesa's speakers are then identical to the early 'standard' ones.

15. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

What about on the greenback? i have one whose cover says made in england but not on the sticker

16. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I dunno 'bout you, but I wouldn't pay any sort of premium for Chinese made products of any description. I don't care if the quality is just as good. I used to buy Clarks shoes (UK) but stopped when they moved production to China.
    That country's legacy of human-rights abuses is just too off-putting to me.

17. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

I've got a 70th Anniv G12H30 that came in a TopHat 1x12 that I bought second-hand in 2002. It was a couple of years old then. The sticker says "Made in England" but the stamp on the frame is 'Celestion'. Just wanted to add to the confusion...it's shortly being replaced with a Scumback H75 anyway. :)