How do you like a 280k volume pot on your strat?

Joost Assink

The RS Guitarworks kits come standard with their 280k volume pot. I tried it on one guitar and it really brightened up the guitar for better or worse. Now I played it through a bright amp, but how many of you have a 280k superpot and like it?

buddastrat

I wish I did try, I'm in need of a good volume pot. Does the pot move real easy? How is the taper for volume swells?

Joost Assink

It doesn't move as easily as some cts pots but with a bit of break in it's fine. The taper is great and the tone is useable even when you turn it down.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I have an EJ Strat, and it's on the bright side to begin with. Don't know if it has a 280k pot or not, but if it doesn't, I can't imagine I'd want this guitar to be any brighter. Love it as is, partly because it's bright, but I can't imagine it any brighter.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
I use the RS 280K on all my Strats. I find it useable thru its entire range on all three, and find myself actually using the controls now.

Strat A - Alder / RW: RS kit w/ Rocketfire Total 60s & .1uF ceramic cap
Strat B - Ash / Maple: RS kit w/ Abby sigs & .022uF ceramic cap
Strat C - Alder / RW: RS kit w/ Fred Stuarts & .047uF PIO

All different tone characteristics, all very manageable.

RSRelic

Just because you buy a 280k pot does not mean it's really 280k because the whole idea was to have a pot that never went below 250k; just like buying a 250k does not mean it's really 250k. If by luck your guitar has a 250k pot that's a bit high (say 260k) and you add a SuperPot 280k that test close to the same 260k then it will not be brighter at all. If your guitars stock pot tests like many CTS 250k pots and ready close to 200k then yes it's going to get brighter. There's no put in a 280k and it's brighter every time it all relates to where you start.

ganzosrevenge

hey joost,

I have a 280k superpot for volume, and it is a beautifully solid piece of work. It has a very nice taper that lets me get these beautiful volume swells, and it is the first pot that I've owned that did not need a treble bleed cap, and the first pot that wasn't wiggly / too easy to turn. What I like about the 280k in the strat is that no matter what, it will be at minimum a 250k pot, and those i've seen tend to be closer to 270k to 275k (Roy and co. at RSGW pick out VERY accurate pots!). As far as the taper goes, it's not linear, but it's not a pure algorithmic-style audio either. If I had to describe it blindly (without taking apart pots), it reminds me of a cross between a Hamer Taper and a Centralab Taper (and that, is a good thing). The tone pots are the same, a centralab style taper, but compared to the centralabs I've used, better. (Perhaps it's because the RSGW pots are a bit stiffer, and I tend to like slightly stiff pots.) Now to define stiff, is it unmoveable, no? but the more you use them, the more versatile the pots get and the easier they are to cycle through. What this means is that the slightly stiffer pot movement means you can more easily finetune your tone filtaration, and one little flick won't result in going from mush to piercingly bright (or vice versa).

As for how to order... I would just get a full kit, be it unwired or prewired. If my memory serves me correctly, if you just order loose pots, they fall wherever they fall "k" wise. The prewired and the DIY kits, from what i recall are more tightly calibrated to each other for better performance / coexistence together. Even better, what you see on the site aren't your sole choices. If you need a strat with 2 independent tone controls, and a 500k bridge pot (for a hot pup or HB), they'll make a custom prewire. It's even possible to specify a slightly higher "k" pot if you have an odd configuration, or you want to make a nice compromise betwen HB's and SC's. Upgrades do cost extra, but when you're working with RSGW, you're in great hands. I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about their work, and when friends need electronics, I refer them to RSGW. Is it a bit more $$$ than a set with normal CTS pots? Yes. But the actual usefullness of these pots, combined with the great service and attention to detail, make the upcharge worth every penny. Would most certainly do business with them again.

+1 for being a fan of RSGW

Jason

Trending Topics