How do you like your Tussart Steel Deville?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by michael.e, Jun 13, 2005.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey!
    I am considering getting one of these and I would like some feedback.
    Thanks. M.E.

2. AD

AD Supporting Member

Great sounding and 1st rate playability (in fact, the Koa neck is the best neck I've owned or played). The axe is prone to feedback at higher volumes.

I sold mine for $1,500 or so and it had teh Holmes pups - One transaction i'd like to take back

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Great guitar! A bit prone to feedback at higher volumes, like most hollow body guitars. Unique tone but you wouldn't guess it was all metal just listening to it. Mine is from the early Paris days when the Steel Deville was a tele.

[​IMG]

4. michael.e

Thanks for the replies! How bad is the feedback issue.
    I am talking medium-ish + gain and loud enough to hang with a drummer.
    I am going to be using it with a Savage Blitz 50 and a Marshall Silver Jubilee 4-12 behind a Plexiglass shield. Here is the guitar that I am considering. M.E.

[​IMG]

5. michael.e

It is going to go really well with this.........

[​IMG]

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It's a tough call, as the feedback depends on so many things. As a ballpark idea though, if you can hang with a 335 using your rig, you should be OK with the Trussart. IMHO, YMMV.

7. move

move Member

the holy back and front is supposed to reduce feedback problems.

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

The Trussart tele is more prone to feedback than the lester in my experience.

9. Shane S

Shane S Member

I have a Trussart Steel Top and Steelcaster w/ holy back option. The Steelcaster has a Duncan Seth Lover in the neck position and it will feedback really easily. The Steel Top has Duncan pickups as well but the must be different than the Steelcaster because it does not feedback at all and high volume/gain situations.

So besure to check the pickups on the Steel Deville.

10. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

I wish I'd never traded my R7 for the Trussart, although the Trussart was very nice...:(

11. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Interesting about the Trussarts, but what I want to know is how do you like your Zemaitis? Is it one of the Greco models or an old original? I played some of these at the Mesa Boogie store in Hollywood and was fairly impressed, but that was after just a little sampling. How do you like it for an all the time guitar? Please elaborate!

Regards
    TD

12. michael.e

I was considering one of those Greko Zemaitis's.
    This guitar is a one off built by a luthier named Peter Sawchyn in 1993. He builds high end acoustics now and does no solidbodies.

I picked this guitar up for an insane price and it was so abused :(
    I took it apart and gave it a new life. That was about 6 years ago.
    I have a Fralin in the neck and a Duncan Custom 14 in the bridge with a 25.5 scale and med/fat mahogany neck and two piece mahogany body.
    The neck had snapped at the headstock some time ago and was repaired in a moderate fasion. I recently had the instrument fall and the headstock broke again :mad: . This time, I took the guitar to Gary Brawer in San Francisco. I had the neck fixed with an overlay at the headstock/neck area. It is guaranteed to never break in the same spot again, ever. I also had some new generation Stainless frets put on and got the guitar "Plek'ed". This guitar sounds like a small grand piano now. It sustains forever and sounds so beautiful in the bridge pickup with a clean/ish Vox or Marshall tone happening ampside. I invested a huge amount of money in this guitar and it paid off in spades. My daughter is so stoked that she will someday own this guitar! M.E.

[​IMG]

13. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Great story about your guitar Michael. Thanks for sharing.

Regards
    TD