How do YOU make them sound the same?

televisual

Silver Supporting Member
So I'm currently gigging (in rotation, but I always take 2):
52 RI w/ Fralin blues
Custom Tele w/ Nocaster pickups
LSL Paisley w/ "LSL pickups"
PRS McCarty w/ narrowfields (only 2 pickups, like a tele)

I'd like to get my volume consistent between whichever 2 I take out (tone is irrelevant as each does its own "thing") since there are some obvious gaps in their strength...the Fralins are particularly in need of taming.

So what do you guys keep on your pedalboards to even this out? Maybe I need to go back to bringing a volume pedal with me...thoughts?

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
What's the matter with setting the guitar volume to do this. That's what I've done lately.

Otherwise, I've used a transparent boost pedal to boost the quieter guitar to the louder guitar's level.

M

Member 37136

I like having a volume pedal in the chain anyway, just for dynamics, swells, etc. When switching guitars, I can't see going without one. Adjusting the amp volume can be a PITA, and rolling the volume pot down on the guitar can change the tone fairly dramatically.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I like having a volume pedal in the chain anyway, just for dynamics, swells, etc. When switching guitars, I can't see going without one. Adjusting the amp volume can be a PITA, and rolling the volume pot down on the guitar can change the tone fairly dramatically.
If it's not dramatic (as in, one guitar is on 9 and one is on 7) then it won't change the tone dramatically, and if it does, there's something wrong with the way the guitar is wired, in my experience.

Sean French

Fulltone Fat Boost V3 is what I use to get my Tele to the same output level(or input level depending on how you look at it) as my humbucker guitars.

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
As above, volume pedal in the effects loop. I used to run mine first in the loop chain, so that delays and reverb worked right for swells.

Kind of going through the same thing too. the tones I want to play are singlecoil-based, but being in a heavy-ish cover band kind of makes it difficult sometimes.
You guys that are using boost pedals, do you have them out front or in the loop?