1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

How do you play "Tequila"

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by stevel, May 18, 2008.

1. stevel

stevel Member

I'm, playing this in E (the recording's a tad high), so the intro is

E - D alternating. I'm playing the G# and F# on top.

For the "bridge", I've got:

Eo7
    x
    x

to E

x
    x

then the high lick - what is it? - I got :

(13)

I'll probably play everything up on the neck though, so my Eo7 will be:

x
    x

In other words, I'll play all the same notes produced above, but with different chord froms on strings 2-5 rather than 1-4 except for the high note lick.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Steve

2. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I learned the Wes Montgomery version, so it's a bit different. But where you have the 'bridge', Wes would play something like:

-------|-8----9
    5-6-7--|-7----8
    6-4-5--|-8----9
    5-6-7--|-7----8
    -------|-------
    -------|-------

Cheers

Kris

3. dave s

dave s Member

Can't tell you without a guitar. If this thread is around, when I have some time, I'll get you the correct chords/voicings/location on guitar. I learned this right off the original recording years ago and played it in a 50s/60s band long ago.

I can tell you as well that the key to capturing the 'vibe' of the original song is getting the BASS PART correct!

dave

4. JonR

JonR Member

If you're referring to the Champs version, I don't know which lick you mean. The end of the bridge (in your key) is one bar on F#7 and the break on B. The melody just plays the chord roots there.
    If you mean the quick guitar chord between the horn phrases, yep, it's just an E chord, and I don't think it matters too much exactly where you play it. High is good!
    (You're right on the Edim7, btw.)
    And dave s is right about the bass for the vibe. It's very simple, but quite important.
    Tip: think of the main section as E-Bm7, not just E-D.

If you mean the Wes Montgomery version (never knew he did it!) - or any other one - disregard this post :rolleyes:

5. stevel

stevel Member

No, the Champs version. I have the Wes version too but the Champs is what I'm after.

bm7 is a D chord "over" a B bass, so, the bass might be a B note - in fact - IIRC he's doing something like E - B-B E - B-B in a Latin-type pattern, so that's probably what you're hearing. But I mean, as far as the guitar part goes, the guy is physically playing a D (which is apparent at the beginning).

Thanks for the confirmations,
    Steve.

6. OOG

OOG Member

ask Glenn Campbell:D