1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do you price something that almost never comes up for sale?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jeffwith1f, Feb 15, 2009.

1. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I have an oldish (1972/1973) Ibanez V Bass that I am trying to sell because I never play it. It has had some players mods (bridge pickup replaced with Gibson, Original Bridge replaced with aftermarket "Bad Ass") and it also has it's share of battle scars. Beyond that plays well and the rest is in original condition.

I know what I paid for it 5 years ago. But that's about it. I am unable to find any for sale anywhere. It doesn't track on eBay as a current listing or under completed listings, nothing up on gBase, nothing in any shops that I am aware of. And I'm not certain there's a listing in the price guide.

The instrument definately exists, I see that it was in the Ibanez catalogues for 1972 & 73, and I have one, with it's HSC.

how should I price this?

As a broader question: Without any sort of current markers to indicate the pricing of something, how does one assign a price to start the selling process on any similarmy rare guitar. it is, of course, worth what someone will pay for it, but to get the process started you want to pick a price that is not so low that you sell for less than you should, but not so high that you scare off potential interest.

2. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

Find the nearest Ibanez forum and post it.

3. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Post some pictures of it at www.IbanezCollectors.com/forum and I guarantee you we'll tell you what we think it's worth. No lowballing, just our honest opinion. You're correct that they don't come up often and they are desirable.

The market is lousy right now for vintage Ibanez guitars (as it is for all vintage gear) but recently, some truly rare items have come up and commanded very respectable prices.

Here's a link to a catalog page showing your bass, which I'm assuming is a model 2387B:

http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1973-3/12.jpg

4. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

yup. one of those.
    [​IMG]

I figure about $650 USD?
    do let me know if I'm on crack. I've got someone coming to check it out tommorow morning

although the larger question remains. In a vacuum, how does one price something like this? (let's assume there wasn't a forum about your instrument)

5. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Jeff, I just sent you a PM, or I should say, I am about to send you one.

And that looks like a set neck! Model 2388DX, I'm thinking.

6. chucke99

chucke99 Member

If you have no idea, you put it on eBay with a high reserve, something so high that you'd feel satisfied if it sold, even if you got much less for it than it was really worth. If you really think you may have something special, set the reserve insanely high, so that no one will ever reach it.

Another way is to set a fixed price, let's say, $20,000, and then just say in your description that you're taking offers and you know the BIN is too high, and that people are encouraged to bid what they think it's worth.

Note that this is a theoretical discussion. The bass in question is not worth $20,000. :)

7. m@2

m@2 Member

i don't know what it's worth, but it's a bada$$ bass!

8. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

it is a bolt neck
    and it is bad ass.
    no it is definately not worth $20,000.

i guess if you have something listed with a really high price, it may still get traffic from interested parties. I do check out the stoopid high end stuff on ebay, (usually because there's not so much of it that it can't be scanned easily) and then tend to focus on my price range.

9. Chuck King

Chuck King Member

I don't think posting it with a ridiculously high reserve or starting price will give you the real value---lots of people won't bother to bid or contact you.

If you REALLY want to know what it's worth, put it up on a no-reserve auction starting at $0.99. As long as you have an active market, you'll get its worth. If you did that and the posted it on TalkBass I'm sure you'd get plenty of action on it. Hell, I'd probably bid on it.

I don't think $650 is out of line at all. I'm hardly an expert on old Ibanez stuff, but it may well go for more than that.

10. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

This makes sense but I think he's trying to figure out a price for a local sale.

I think you're better off now than pre-web, since there are all these specialized forums like the Ibanez one but if there's not one for what you have and you are selling locally its going to be a guess on the seller's part backed up with whatever justification you can muster, and then seeing how it goes over. It might beat the hassles of ebay but you also might not get the most you possibly could.