How do you read chicklet capacitors?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pfrischmann, Mar 4, 2005.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I'm trying to follow a schematic for my marshall Super bass and I'm not sure how to read the little yellow caps.

one says .47/10/250.........I'm guessing the first is the value, the last is the voltage, but what is the middle...a multiplier?

any help is greatly appreciated..

BTW..this is one weird amp....1/2 Super bass..1/2 SL with some stuff just not on the board....very weird.

thanks paul

2. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

You guessed the first and last correctly. The middle number is the cap's tolerance, in percent. So what you described is a 0.47uF 250 volt cap with 10% tolerance. The actual measured value of the cap should lie somewhere within the range 0.423uF (0.47 - 10%) and 0.517uF (0.47 + 10%).

3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

4. dazco

dazco Member

You might also wanna download this truly incredible and free program called "electronics assistant". It does all kinds of things likecapacitor code calculator, resistor color code calculator, capacitence converter, (pf value to MF, etc etc) series/parallel calculator for capacitence and resisitance, and everything else you can imagine. once you try it you'll see what i mean.....absolutly invaluable !

http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/calculators/002/

5. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Thanks Dazco. I just got it...very cool