How do you run your modeler at home?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Shades of Blue, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

I just got my second Helix this week (foolishly sold the first to feed the angry GAS beast). I have come to terms that I MUCH prefer the sound through my 8" PreSonus monitors, rather than a PA type speaker. I just seem to get a more room filling, full sound in a home environment.

What are you guys running just for home use?

[​IMG]

2. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

It depends on the gig I'm preparing for. I like to use the same things I use on a gig because I've listened to my sound through those enough to know a good reference for setting up my tones.

If it's a gig where I'll be using IEM's (95% of the time), then I use my IEM's at home

If it's a gig where I'll be using a wedge, or no monitor, I use the small powered PA speaker I use at gigs

I've thought about picking up a pair of monitors to use for times when I'm just noodling around at home. Seems like a smart choice

3. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

I actually have two setups at home. I use my HD500X with the same powered monitor (Yamaha DXR12) I use on stage for live gigs to setup and tweak patches and generally for practice. That's because I know that is a duplicate of how everything will sound through the PA. I also have a HDProX hooked into my computer for recording purposes. I use a lot of the same patches from my live rig, but in that case I play through the Yamaha HS7 studio monitors.

Obviously studio monitors will be more pleasing to the ear in a home environment, but would be pretty deceiving in terms of how those patches might sound when going through a live rig...especially PA speakers.

jpage likes this.
  4. thoro

thoro Member

I'm using Sennheiser HD 595 headphones at home and a Matrix GT1000FX with two Thiele Cabinets (EVM12L Classic) as monitors at rehearsals and gigs.

5. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I switch between my studio monitors and my L2Ts. I also sometimes just run into the front of a guitar amp. I still often use a real amp with the Helix for effects only. It depends on the gig. There are sometimes I'm tempted to pick up the rack version just to leave it permanently connected to my home setup.

Shades of Blue likes this.
  6. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Member

Interesting. I was under the impression that you wanted to use studio monitors to create patches. I know you don't want to use headphones, but I figured monitors would be a good choice for making patches.

7. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

They'll be closer for sure. But flat response isn't all the same thing. Live speakers are built differently with an idea toward projection of the sound, so ultimately they can seem harsher and do have an effect on how the guitar comes through. You might be okay depending on the kind of guitar and patches you use. I just tend to play it safe and use a powered monitor that has pretty much the same response as the PA system. That way I'm not tweaking settings at the last minute.

Scrapperz likes this.
  8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

In my office (I don't use my Helix at home very often), I use an 8" FBT Verve FRFR monitor to tweak amp sounds and balance, and will normally practice with headphones or my IEMs.

9. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Same rig set-up as I gig with (KPA->CLR Active Wedge).

10. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

At home I turn up until I can't hear my wife... and then add +3db.

11. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

I use mine through a Rocktron Velocity 300 stereo power amp into two 4x12 cabs. Sounds good (and BIG) at low levels and cranked.

12. CheeseGrater

CheeseGrater Member

Pretty much same as at gigs, through a power amp and guitar cabs - I want the tweaks i apply at home to carry over to gigs, and using a different setup at home would complicate things - or at least introduce surprises at gigs. Actually I am no longer a guitarist in a gigging band, but still like to run the same way.

13. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Guitar > AX8 \
    > Mixer > Studio Monitors or rarely headphones
    Computer /

My gigging stuff stays packed up usually unless I'm working on new tones or experimenting with gear.

14. johnnyninja

johnnyninja Member

I live in a condo. Great for not having to do yard work. Not so great for playing at volume. I primarily use an iLoud or headphones. I had a PE60 for a while that worked well at low volume, too. I've thought about getting a bigger rig but it's like trying to drive a sports car in a 35 mph zone.

Nevets, Scrapperz and Shades of Blue like this.
  15. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Equator Q8 monitors

16. SteveO

SteveO Member

Originally I was using my Kemper primarily for recording, and for that everything was run through my studio monitors. At some point, however, it transitioned into my living room rig, and I wound up getting a pair of QSC K10s for that application. About 80% of the time the volume levels are pretty mellow, but I do like to crank it up periodically, and the K10s are good for that. So I'm plugged into them most of the time.

17. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

This! But now, I've been trying to get my new Helix into the mix, to downsize my KPA Rack/KR set-up. G10 wireless may soon replace my rack G90.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Phnurt and VCuomo like this.
  18. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

11R and a TC Helicon Voice Solo. Surprisingly good.

19. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

LOL, I've been playing with an AmpliFire (but haven't gotten it to where I want it to be tone-wise). Also thinking seriously about a G10...

20. C3X

C3X Member

Avid Eleven Rack (using several SingTall modified patches), Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm 2.0, Fuhrman M-8X2 in an SKB 1SKB-R3X 3U Shallow Roto Rack with Rack Legs through either JBL LSR305s or Sony MDR7506 Headphones. Use Logic X to record.

Contemplating an AxeFX 2 at the moment, but so far the Eleven Rack is getting it done. I have it sounding good through monitors, a cab or a PA. I bought the Eleven Rack for $300 on eBay NIB with the updated software (no ProTools, but I don't care about ProTools). Cost effective portable rig. Still love my tube amps, though.

[​IMG]

ccouch7 likes this.