How do you "save" your pedal knob settings?

NoiseNinja

For some settings/knobs I cut out a narrow triangle from a black, red or white (depending on the color of the given pedal's finish) sticker and place it so that it points at my desired knob settings, others I fixate with a blob of hot glue from a glue gun (which, while securing the current position of the knobs it is applied to firmly, without any chance of being knocked off by accident, still fairly easily can be removed again without causing any damage).

Stratburst70

Most of my pedals are simple enough that I remember the settings; I also deep dive enough that I understand what each knob does so I can adjust stuff on the fly.

I also take a quick cellphone pic in case I have a serious brain fart. As someone else observed, it’s a better use of the technology than taking pictures of your dinner.;)

mrpinter

Gold Supporting Member
I just don't move them again once they're where I want.
But sometimes they get moved accidentally. Some of the Digitech pedals came with a great solution for this, with a rubber block with tight openings for the knobs so they can't be moved until the block is removed. The only negative is that it's one more thing to keep track of.
i6GfGc4.jpg

Swijak

But sometimes they get moved accidentally. Some of the Digitech pedals came with a great solution for this, with a rubber block with tight openings for the knobs so they can't be moved until the block is removed. The only negative is that it's one more thing to keep track of.
i6GfGc4.jpg

I used to mark pedals with sharpies just for a quick check before a gig but that failed when I started using different amps/guitars and had too many sharpie marks to make sense! But like @mrpinter my biggest issue is not remembering (ok these days that is an issue) but knobs getting bumped and turned inadvertently. I have a Wampler pedal that has knobs that will move if you look at them too hard! I've seen people recently use rubber washers under the knobs so they are hard to turn. The Ibanez Tone-Lok series knobs were really great. I wish manufactures would bring that back.

If I were to gig again I'd follow the rule only have has many pedals on your board as you can remember the settings if your 6yo turns all the knobs. (I think that is from a Zac Childs article or video) :)

Tomi JR

I think I'm blessed with a photographic memory, since even though I have 11 pedals on my board, I can remember where all the controls should be.

Once the board is dialed in, I do take a picture just in case my brain does not want to function like it should.

NotMyTempo

As a few have already stated, I like to learn what the knobs do and how they interact with each other. I tend to favor different settings on pedals depending on which guitar and amp I’m playing, as well as how loud I’m playing. I find this especially true with dirt pedals but also modulation depending on whether or not you use an FX loop (or go back and forth). Learning to work the pedals helps me get closer to that sound in my head no matter what guitar/amp/volume/room I’m playing.

billbfoot

Gold Supporting Member
I take pics w/ my iPhone. But for me, the key is keeping the pics somewhat organized in albums so that I can access them quickly.

A couple of my pedals are fixtures, and I pretty much know where the settings need to be. But I rotate a fair amount of pedals (particularly drives), so when I’m really on my game, I might write a note on the pic to remind myself of any specifics…

View media item 347598
View media item 347599

i6GfGc4.jpg
I also use both the Venture and the Nautila. They're great effects. I fortunately did not have a problem with losing my rubber knob protectors, so I do appreciate that! IDK about now, but those were available to order as parts from digitech a while back. Maybe they still have some in supply? Obvi they haven't made new ones in a while, but at least a few months ago things were still available for sale from their site.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom