How do you set your delay to get that soaring lead tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by goodsal, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Which pedal delays, if any, will chop off the effect as you play the next note so you do not have the prior notes decay under the current, and often incompatible, note?
    This always bugs me when I use delay, but not so much when others use it.
    The other downside of delay it that is makes the sound seem more distant (of course!!) rather than simply more sustained, but, I will try the tone adjustment and multi-tap thing.

2. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I use a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, last in the chain, for same soaring lead application.

Settings: Level 10:00, Repeats 9:00, Delay Time 12:30.

It is the happiest I've been with any delay I've owned, including Maxon AD900 and Diamond Memory Lane.

earthmud likes this.
  3. disguiseglasses

disguiseglasses Member

My dear man, there is NO such thing as over-doing it when it comes to delay.
    ...Though I may be slightly biased as I have no less than THREE delays pedals on my board as we speak.

Go for broke, feel the brilliance.
    It's rich... like mahogany. :)

4. wahwah

wahwah Member

I love the ambience of analog delay, but as stated here, until recently the problem was always the short (330ms) delay time limitation. I recently bought the Retro-Sonic Analog Delay, which offers approx twice the delay time (up to 600ms) whilst still offering the stunning sound of my original DM-2. It also has a footswitch to halve the delay time, so you can effectively set up a longer delay and a slapback, selectable by the footswitch. It is a true bypass, analog circuit, so there is no AD/DA conversion. There is also a tone control for the repeats. I like the magical 480ms mark for that spacious, ambient glow around solos.

Cheers.................................wahwah

LordByron likes this.
  5. eric-d

eric-d Member

Definitely in the 400-450 range - about 25-35% mix and about 2-5 repeats..... think Eric Johnson.

cam0122 likes this.
  6. radcliff

radcliff Member

On the Nova I really like either 410ms or 260ms for leads

I stole the 260ms from Robben Ford.

cam0122 likes this.
  7. lchyi

lchyi Member

My DL-4 was set to something like 400ms that with approximately 3 repeats. It was one of those moments (kind of like when you plug into a cranked Marshall for the first time) that I was like, "OOHHHH I get it!"

At the time I had it paired with a Crunchbox so I was seriously digging that setup for a while. I mean, it made playing scales so much more fun I think I got a little better because of it :D

8. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Supporting Member

I just found this on the Line 6 page.

Here is a chart that correlates Effect Tweak knob settings to delay time in ms. Please remember that these are estimates and you may need to move the knob a little to get the exact setting.
    Knob setting Milliseconds
    0 75
    1 76
    2 100
    3 146
    4 225
    5 350
    6 625
    7 850
    8 1400
    9 2600
    10 3070

9. rastaman

rastaman Member

Great thread. Question: Why does it sound to me like the repeated notes produced by the delays I've used [Echo Park, DD5] sound so fake/processed? Especially when gain is involved? Sorry in advance, I'm not trying to derail the thread... There's just a lot of educated delay folks replying.

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

I'm not aware of any pedal that does this and if it did I think it would sound really strange.

The closest thing for what you want is ducking delay. A ducking delay basically reduces the level of the repeats while you play and then swells to full volume after you hit the last note or chord to give you the nice delay trail.

The tc delay pedal has this feature as does the old korg 301dl and probably the evetide time factor.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

I'll answer your question with a question. Are you putting your delay pedal after your OD pedals and is your amp set clean? If not, then the echoes are going to be distorted and that is not a pleasant sound.

12. rastaman

rastaman Member

As of right now I have Guitar -> Time Machine Boost -> Timmy -> OCD -> Volume Cut Pedal -> Boss CE2 -> Echo Park -> Strobostomp -> Amp. I did have the tuner first, OD's after the effects, and the Volume Cut Pedal last but I changed things to get a buffer on the amp side of the cut pedal. I was losing highs the more I cut the volume.

The amp I'm currently using with the 2 cover bands is a 2 channel Mesa, clean & dirty channel. The clean does sound good.

13. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi well I use it more as reverb then delay, to long delays with OD makes a little bit muddy sound.
    Peace Strat58

14. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

For me, delay is set to 1 to 2 taps (second tap is about half the level of the first). Mix is around 3/4 dry. Tempo is tapped to 1/4 note triplets. That is fed into a medium plate reverb. The delay disappears into the rhythmic movement of the tune and the drums, and it lengthens the tail of the reverb.

The trick is the decay of the reverb and the wet/dry mix. Find what works for you.

cam0122 and LordByron like this.
  15. bigroy

bigroy Member

16. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

17. bigroy

bigroy Member

Parallel vs Series in your loop. I seem to prefer parallel, but am I missing something by not using it in series?

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The biggest consideration I think really is playing along with WHAT?

Generally, I keep feedback low (1 or 2 repeats, or more fepending on the delay and it's tone and how different each repeat is in volume), and time slightly longer than slapback, but not so it is a seperate repeat...

But the biggest factor is the delay volume (or mix depending on the delay, point being how loud the delay signal will be) because alone you can set it pretty subtle, and even with a band if your guitar is much higher or it is in a quiet passage it probably will be just a little higher, but if it is playing along with "Money" (Pink Floyd) or something like that you will need to raise that delay volume quite a bit just to be heard, and that might mean (since they are a little interactive) might have to adjust feedback then again.

Trial and error, there are so many delays, so many amps, so many ways of hooking them up and so many situations musically that it is hard to have a set "patch" for it...must usually tailor it each time, to each situation.

Use the ears!

19. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I like mine set for 2-4 repeats with delay time set to 300ms.

kortlanda likes this.
  20. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I really like longer delays. 500-600 ms for a rich, Schon-esque lead tone.
    I also love a bit of modulation in my delay.
    No chorus in the actual tone, but a slight wobble to the delay is sweet.

loudguitars56 likes this.