1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How do you ship big things?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sstweed, May 16, 2011.

1. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have bought and shipped mostly pedals and raw speakers lately. Not many amps and cabinets. Today I shipped an empty 2x12 out of a Fedex Kinkos office and holy crap it was expensive. Is it cheaper to go to a regular fedex facility, or schedule a pickup, or is it all just expensive these days? Thanks.

2. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

There was another thread last week on this same topic. It's all expensive.

3. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I ship via the USPS for several reasons: 1) If something is damaged, they are on top of it (providing it was insured). The other companies.....not so easy.
    2) USPS rates are more competitive (at least for me). 3)I love the "self serve" U.S. shipping Kiosk, as 99% of the time, there's no wait. (No you can't ship a 2x12 cab, but pedals are a breeze! YMMV.

4. mxvin

mxvin Member

usps wont do amps....too big. I shipped a Super Reverb from Jersey to Missiouri. 100.00 ground shipping. Thats the rates. If you go yourself to a UPS place it is a bit cheaper.

5. mxvin

mxvin Member

In big boxes.....sorry couldnt resist...:)

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Fedex/Kinkos and UPS Stores are in business to make money on the shipping. They are more expensive than shipping it at a Fedex or UPS center.

7. Red Dirt

Red Dirt Member

Shipping prices have jumped a lot lately, and the "extras" are piling up. To get the best rate you have to have daily pickup and ship to a commercial location, so shipping it from your work to the other person's work can be cheaper.

8. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

In big boxes with big trucks.

9. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

Check out Greyhound Bus. Only catch is they don't deliver (have to go to the bus station to pick it up). On the up side, they are fast, bus stations are all over the place, rates seem fair and I've had good luck so far.

10. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

11. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

I ship big things and I put them down.

12. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I did not know that was an option. Will they insure; does the bus have to be met on the other end at the exact time/day it arrives? I have always used UPS and don't think I have ever paid more than $60.00 to ship a combo, even across the country. That's packing it myself; being picked up at my office where there is daily pickup. Shipping to a business vs. residential always costs less.

13. louis

louis Supporting Member

Funny !! :sarcasm:rotflmao:rotflmao:crazyguy:roll:nono:wave:jo:nuts:eek:

Love this one !!!!

14. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I know the UPS Stores charge additional fees, but I recently shipped several high dollar guitars from my local Fedex/Kinkos, and in each case their price was exactly the same as the shipping price I calculated directly from the FedEx website. So no extra fees were charged by Fedex/Kinkos in my experience.

15. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Thanks all. I guess this swap and shop hobby (of which shipping is an inevitable part) is becoming another victim of high gas prices?

By the way, I love the big airforce cargo plane pics. Wouldn't it rock if that were really an option!

16. Oatie

Oatie Member

If you have an acct with Fed Ex or UPS the rates are much cheaper.
    You need an acct. with Fed Ex Ground, they give you a couple of rolls
    of pre-paid labvels and you just slap a label on the box next to the ship address
    and drop it off at any FED EX KINkos. No extra charge. If you box it well you don't need to insure it. The high insurance rates is where they make the money. THE boxes are automatically insured for 100 or 200.00. I ship expensive amps all the time with no extra insurance and never a problem. If you are cheap on buying strong boxes, and don't double box you better pay for the insurance. My amps are packed so well you can drop the boxes and they are safe. Foam peanuts inside large gARbage bags tied into a knot act as a cushion system. The square knot traps the air inside the bag combined with the foam nuts and I put them all around the amp. I use a full box of 1 inch bubble on the amp, then wrap it with a 15.00 moving quilt, then the foam nuts in the garbage bags. I always use huge boxes, the bigger the better. It does not cost money to set up an acct w/fed ex, just get the pay as you ship plan. Don't get the daily pickup if you are a small seller.
    U Haul Dish Barrel Box

The dish barrel box is the best to ship small amps, heads, the cardboard is a full 1/2" thick, the thickest box you can get and it's only 5.45 . More Boxes

Quilted Pads 15.00 1" Bubble Wrap 20.00

Just pass the cost to your customer, tell them they can reuse the materials when they get them on their end. The moving quilts really protect the amp during the shipping, and if you wrap the amp with the full roll of the 1" bubble wrap your even more protected.

I don't understand how someone pays 2-3k on an amp on ebay and then they don't want to pay for good ship materials. I* have special boxes to ship marshall 4x12 cabs and I ship the box empty to the person I buy from, just to make sure the cab will arrive safe. I also put the roll of bubble and the quilt inside the empty box.

Damaged gear is no fun.