How do you stop and Epi DOT from Sitaring?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OilsFan, May 21, 2015.

1. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

I have neither a Ravi nor a Shankar in my name so this noise has got to go! Mostly occurs on the G and B strings on my DOT Royale. Is it that wire that runs across the saddle that is making the racket?

2. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

Get a better bridge? Tonepro or Gotoh, I've got a Callaham on my Epi, but that's pricy. Check the diameter of your posts and the distance between them. Stewart Macdonald's site has little blueprints of most of the bridges available with the dimensions. They are NOT all alike, so do your measuring.

Try taking a pair of needle nose pliers and tweaking a little bend here and there in the wire to increase the tension on it.

Sitar sounds may mean a bad saddle groove. Really wants a nice nut-notch file to make a proper groove, but you may be able to make do with folded sandpaper or hobby needle files. Look at the grooves very carefully (I use a jeweler's loupe) to check for burrs or flat spots. Sometimes you can cut a burr off with a good blade, leaving a tiny bevel on the end of the groove.

I cut my saddle grooves like miniature nut slots, sloped away from the neck a bit, rounded at the leading edge, and tiny bevels at the ends. My Bigsby doesn't make things go out of tune either, with careful slots at nut and saddle.

Have fun.

Be sure your frets are level, could be a buzz against one of the higher frets, too.

3. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

Take it to a luthier, or, stop cooking curry in the same room.

kwd1987 likes this.
  4. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Faber makes a great replacement for those bridges- not crazy expensive either.
    That said, it could also be a poorly cut nut. What I find with most Epiphones is that they need a better bridge, proper nut and almost always a full level and crown on the frets. After that you'll have a fine guitar.

5. Crossroads

Crossroads Member

you can get a wireless drop in replacement bridge from stewmac.com.

One of the first things I did on mine, that and a bone nut.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I agree. Wonderful guitars with minimal additional investment and attention.

7. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

Get a setup, end of.

8. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

OK I'll take a look at bridges and a nut. I have to do something or it's getting sold. Its been good as a second guitar on recordings but I don't like to play it as it is now.

9. sliberty

sliberty Member

Are you getting the extra string vibrations from behind the nut or behind the bridge? Determining this will point to the cause.

10. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

It's probably just a burr on the nut or the saddle. No reason to swapping bridges yet until you rule that out.

Occam's Razor and all that.