1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do you tap tempo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jan 12, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Now that you're here, I'm looking for suggestions on how to calculate certain note types. I have a replica, and it's limited to quarter notes and quarter note triplets. I was wondering what tap technique would allow me to get dotted quarter notes and eighth notes.

2. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

I'll bite. Assume that you're tapping on the all caps beats.

To tap 8th notes tap like this:
    ONE-AND-TWO-AND... basically tapping out an 8th note rhythm

Any dotted rhythm is that value plus another half of that value. So a dotted 8th gives you an 8th note plus a 16th note, three 16ths total. So, you'd tap every third 16th note. A little subdividing is required...

To tap dotted 8ths, tap:
    ONE-e-and-AH-two-e-AND-ah and so on and so forth...

A dotted quarter (keeping the above in mind) gives you a quarter note plus one 8th note. So you'd tap every third 8th note, a-like so:

ONE-and-two-AND-three-and-FOUR

I have no idea how a Replica works, but if there's some setting that lets you tap in quarter notes and it gives you back a subdivision, then set it to where what you tap in is what it spits out, i.e. a quarter note = a quarter note. Hope this helps.

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

It's a t-rex replica. It has a regular delay that can be tapped, and then a subdivision function. I'll have to mess with some stuff on dd-5 to figure out various rhythms and how to replicate them on the replica.

4. r080

r080 Member

Whenever I need to tap really fast, I bend down and tap with the knuckle on my right hand middle finger. It feels like I can be more precise like that than with my foot.

I have never used a Replica, but if the subdivision is dotted quarter, then wouldn't you just tap eighth notes with the switch on to get dotted eighth? Wouldn't you just tap eighth notes with the switch off to get eighth notes?

5. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

buy a nova delay and push the button that corresponds to the tempo you desire. :)

6. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Set it to the regular delay and then tap like my first post.

7. BTBAM

BTBAM Member

except it has limited divisions....

go with the timefactor :AOK

8. mattjhuber

mattjhuber Supporting Member