1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How do you think the internet has changed gear?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mojazzmo, May 17, 2011.

1. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

I was thinking about this last week when I was researching some info to start building my own pedals. I thought....none of this would be possible without the internet or at the very least it would be very, very difficult. There are a ton of sites that sell kits and schematics for cloning any pedal out there. That would be very hard without the internet. Also, think of all the gear you have bought because you watched a few demos on youtube. In the old days,you read about a piece of gear in a magazine and if you were lucky your local store might have it for you to try. It would have been rare order a pedal via mail order based on a magazine article alone. There are lots of other examples so as Lucidology always says...."What say you?"

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Dumbles wouldn't be $50,000. No handbuilt 10,000 Bolt on guitars. A 73 strat wouldn't be worth $5000 as opposed to the $1500 just 10 yrs ago.

The internet has Hyped EVERYTHING. Follow the trends here , its all very interesting. So & so amps were all the rage...........now they sell for 50% of what they used to because the new flavor of the month is This:(Fill in the blank). I'm as guilty as anyone. Someone is making money........ain't me though. :bonk

3. shane8

shane8 Member

is the internet resp 4 fender building 1M different strat models? i guess making stuff easier to find is good for business ... as for forums and free stuff on the web - the great majority of it is worthless but more entertaining than tv

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I probably wouldn't have half the boutique pedals I have, just because I wouldn't know about them or wouldn't have had videos and sound samples to listen to. This mostly applies to fuzz/overdrive pedals where there are so many different flavors. Seeing an ad for something in the back of a magazine like the old days doesn't have the same effect as seeing it played on youtube. I doubt if I would have risked many of them without some idea of how they sound first.

5. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

you know now what a pedal is supposed to sound like before you ever try it.

you know now what's a fair price... and what isn't a fair price.

some pedals are now easier to find used than new.

you now know what your favorite players are using for gear... when it used to be unless they gave up their details in an interview... you had to do some guessing.

when you come across something in a store that you've never seen before... you can look it up on your phone right on the spot.

all these things have made it much easier to be a gear geek in the interwebz age.

6. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

More choices. There's so much great stuff and info.....as long as you filter it with some common sense......it's a great time to be a musician.

7. Keasley

Keasley Member

It has allowed a multitude of boutique/bedroom/garage builders, designers and engineers to sell their stuff directly to customers around the world. Their prices can be comparable to the major corporations because what they lack in mass production efficiencies they recoup in lower overheads. And they spread the word for free through places like this (viral marketing).

As musicians it allows us to research and piece together the perfect compliment of equipment without having to get off our butts.

The tradeoff is, once our masterpiece is complete, it allows 'customers' around the world to download our music for free via MP3 without getting off their butts. :bonk