How do you use loop recorders/sampler with guitar?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Berlin Chris, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

just curious....

What do you do with loopers/samplers? Are you mostly Recording and playing back chord progressions for practice, creating nice soundscapes, putting out weird noise, or....? Do you use them live, for practice only...?

What do you use them for? Where do you put them in your signal chain? I personally havenĀ“t found a way to really incorporate these things in my playing. I only checked it once on the DL4, but after the initial wow-factor was gone, it got kind of boring very quickly. But then again, I can be soooo old school...

Educate me, please... :)

2. countandduke

countandduke Member

I use the DL4 for playing a droning type sound ala Shawn lane. This sounds best playing 5ths and then kicking in the backwards function. This emulates the sound of that middle eastern droning instrument (can't remember the name). I DO use the looper to practice playing over certain chords but also I think the DL4 is just a pretty cool delay pedal as well. I would use it post distortion or in the effects loop if you have one.....

Good luck....

Chris

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Err . . . a tabla? Maybe a harmonium?

Loopers are great for practicing over changes, building "soundscapes," making noise, and building songs. In the studio I use it a lot for building pad sounds instead of using a synth. Using eBows, volume swells, cell phones held over the guitar's pickups, etc., can generate non-guitaristic sounds from a guitar.

Bryan

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yep, definitely NOT a tabla, I forget the name of that middle eastern instrument............

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

Tamboura? If so, it's Indian, not so much middle eastern.

6. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yeah, that's it...right, more Indian.... Obviously not that well versed in those instruments.

Chris

7. JimiB

JimiB Member

hurdy gurdy maybe?

8. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I have a Boomerang that I use for practice and jamming over all the time.
    I have it hooked up thru a Loooper AB pedal so I can record & then play back the rhythm thru a clean amp and solo over it thru another amp.

I have also, a few times in the past, played at parties and such with the Boomerang & my Godin / Roland synth rig, building and playing layered songs. Pretty fun stuff - horn solo over "Summertime", "Low spark" with piano, bass, guitar and flute, etc.

9. fyler

fyler Member

splatt,
    how long does it take you to set up/ tear down?
    how many of those (if not all) do you take to gigs?
    just curious...

10. Swirl

Swirl Member

Do you accomplish this re-routing by running everything into a mixer and having the loopers on aux sends?

I'm just curious because I really like the idea of being able to run my edp into 2880 and vice versa at any time. I would imagine that this kind of setup opens a tonne of options.

11. JimiB

JimiB Member

thats incredible. I was listening to the clips linked from the Koll thread. Stellar stuff. I especially loved the 2nd one where its gets rather industrial. What album is that from?
    I have an EDP and a glut of pedals as well as multiple amps. What would you suggest as far as a mixer goes? I would like to be able to record-loop-play samples-ok and this is where I get a little lost I want to be able to sync my EDP so that the loops stay "in time" I know it will accept midi clock or sync off a beat but what is the best way to do this?

12. simeon

simeon Member

can you tell us what your current rig is and maybe explain a little more about what you want to achieve? we may be able to help if we have a bit more info

as for syncing- it depends what you're syncing from - a live drummer? a drum box? a sampler? yourself?? :)

sim

13. JimiB

JimiB Member

I guess I'm trying to achieve a set up where I can loop from multiple sources- acoustic- electric w/multiple amps- mic- and then sync it with either ableton, reason, or a live drummer. Perhaps I could set up a tap tempo pedal and keep the EDP in time that way?

14. simeon

simeon Member

once you have a loop running, then you keep in time with that

15. JimiB

JimiB Member

we'll that doenst usually work very well unless its somthing very rhythmic and loud. I tend to follow my drummers, not make them try to follow me.

16. simeon

simeon Member

ahh ok....if you have a live drummer, then it's a whole different kettle of fish (missed that in your previous post)

the best option i've found is to have the drummer use an audio click (on headphones) generated by a box that also pumps out midi clock which you route to the looper. this means that if the loop is a bit a-rhythmic, or the drummer can't hear it well enough, everybody will be time

my drummer doesn't like doing this though, because he says wearing headphones tends to cut him off slightly from whatever else is going on....but i've not had much joy with any other method.

if the loop has some clear rhythmic element to it and the drummer has his own monitor with the loop playing in it, then it's ok...but this can be difficult to organise unless the loop is generated by something like ableton etc

sim

17. Swirl

Swirl Member

Thought I'd pipe in here and share my current setup for this stuff. I do a solo instrumental thing using a lot of live looping. Its a mix of acoustic and electric guitars, synth, and loopers. I recently changed to running a mixer in my setup allowing me to run 2 of the 3 loopers on aux sends and returning them on channel strips. I can also send each looper to the other which is very very cool. I also changed from a amp switcher to panning to each amp. Also cool because I can pan loops to one amp and play through the other or just pan certain loops through one amp and others through the other. My head almost exploded trying to piece this together but it really opens a lot of options for this type of playing.

Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. JimiB

JimiB Member

could you some examples. this is exactly what I've been looking for.

19. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

20. simeon

simeon Member

well any cheapo drum machine will do it....
    the electribe rhythm box things are cool and easy to program rhythmic patterns if you want them in the loop too...
    our drummer uses his roland td-10...
    any synth...

i reckon buying a cheap drum machine on the bay is the way to go. then the drummer can program the type of rhythmic click that he wants with the sounds that he likes and have that in his cans. midi clock will be sent out as standard and that can be run into your loopers.

sim