How do you use your chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by myaudiodna, Dec 26, 2009.

1. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

I have only ever used my chorus pedal to add some extra sparkle to my clean sound, but I'm sure there are MANY other uses for chorus, what do you guys use your chorus for?

2. Guitar Goober

Guitar Goober Member

3. LSGoCards7

LSGoCards7 Member

Sparkle up cleans and thicken distorted tones.

4. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I use it to swirl my guitar sound.

5. theroan

theroan Member

To feed into delays.

6. más_fuerte

más_fuerte Supporting Member

I use it sparingly with volume swells, mostly.

7. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I use a boss ce-5 as an always on pedal sometimes...set you you dont know its chorus, but it thickens dirt and sparkles clean

I use a dls chorus vibe or hardwire chorus for swirly twirly lush chorus (which sounds like poop with a lot of gain)

8. teleclem

teleclem Member

9. Steven

Steven Member

I have the AM Bichorus amd I use one side as a luch chorus for clean sounds and the other side is set for a faux Vibratone sound witch I use with clean and OD/Fuzz sounds. I never use chorus with distortion.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I thought I knew a few moments ago, but finally came to the conclusion that I really don't know,....'
    I am still trying to work out how I want to use chorus with dirt. I don't like the cheesey sounds. I only use the big wide sound occasionally. I don't want a choppy dirt sound, or like a boat rocking on the sea in a gale. I dunno really.

Still trying to work it out!

11. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

12. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

I've been running my corona in front of my amp-I have many uses for it, but something diff. is I've got a good setting for getting that almost vibrato tone from Kriegers "riders on the storm "sound from the doors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRkndmG0qOw&feature=related
    <YOUTUBE>TRkndmG0qOw</YOUTUBE>

<YOUTUBE><object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRkndmG0qOw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRkndmG0qOw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object><YOUTUBE>

13. Madsen

Madsen Member

subtle depth & motion.
    on rare occasion the warbley Cure sound.

14. KBN

KBN Member

Mostly for warbly stuff.

15. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Mostly as a spread stereo effect on my wet speakers. This is high depth and low speed, almost no modulation audible, but makes the rig sound huge.

I have a kickdisk on the speed knob and I can use my foot to turn it up for chorused clean rhythm or to get a kinda double track effect on lead (sounds more double tracked than chorused to me).

16. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

I use it mostly for cleans, but if I want to thicken up my distortion, I'll put the speed on like 0 and the depth to taste.

17. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

I have mine set the same way! I use mine mostly for clean, but I turn it on with dirt when I play STP/Nirvana stuff.

18. Truckdub

Truckdub Member

I use it out front to thicken up my distorted tone a bit. But I use it sparingly.

19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I've had the pleasure of tooling around with a Hammond/Leslie organ and there are basically two speeds. A slow throb, and a fast swirl.

I've had a bunch of chorus pedals, and the one I really like and still have is the CE-1 clone called Retro Sonic Chorus Ensemble. I also used to play a JC-120, and this is the exact sound of that, pretty much, but I play in mono.

I can switch back and forth from fast to slow, and I really feel like the effect reminds me more of playing my grandma's organ, than say, Cindy Lauper.

That said, I like to abuse the distorted lead tones with some fast vibrato; create synthy textures by feeding the chorus octave divided tones; swirl fuzzy harmonics with a slow sweep; feed it into delay for some Cure/Police/Belew sounds; dry chorus some African rhythm guitar sounds; and also some organ/jazz/Schofield sounds too.

20. KendallC

KendallC Member

I use some chorus sometimes. But with very little speed. I'm talking almost none.