How do you use your fuzz face?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fender074, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Fender074

Fender074 Member

Im just curious to know how people use theres? ideally with a marshall but since theres no rule book on this theres no wrong way of doing it, i use a JH-F1 and used to send it straight into the clean chanel but lately ive placed it infront of my amps OD with the drive on about 1 so it sounds clean going into breakup and the the fuzz knob pointint at 9 oclock and the volume at 3 it sounds amazing im blown away and last week was going to sell it cause i want happy with the tones i was getting from it so glad i didnt im nailing the hendrix tones! :D

Tim :)

2. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Max the fuzz and control it with your guitar's volume knob.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah! It's a darn good one, isn't it?!

I've got a wah in front of mine, but that's it. A fuzz likes to see as little as possible between itself & a guitar's passive pickups; My wah's been modified with a 'fuzz-friendly' buffer to get around the impedance problem, and all other effect pedals go after the FF

I've generally got the fuzz control dimed & the volume at unity. Like you said, classic 'Jimi' tones, from full bore distortion to clean/crunch textures, all with a slight twist of my strat's volume knob

I use single channel nonmaster amps, so I've got a tubescreamer-type pedal downstream that stacks very nicely with JH-F1

4. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

Yup - and the tone knob as well.

cheers!

5. Fender074

Fender074 Member

Yeah man I'm really diggin' right now.

Sounds like a sweet setup you've got there, my amps absoloutly terrible (Bugera V22) :/ so im even more amazed by the sound its been making lately haha.

yeah its the best way ive come across with the fuzz dimed it just sounds too messy for my liking sure you can roll it off with the strats volume knob but I like to stack my pedals too, i've got a wah infront of mine aswell (Jimi Hendrix Wah) really want to get a buffer soon i only know of the Foxrox Retrofit, which do you use if you dont mind me asking? :) I aslo run a japanese ts-10, original bluesbreaker and a Zen with a equalizer in the effects loop sounds killer :)

Tim

6. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Right! Neck pups, treble roll off for that "woman tone" :)

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Plug it in and turn it up!!!

I run mine in various ways...depending on the rig I take with me it might go straight into the amp or I might "stack" it into a Box of Rock, Tubescreamer or Blackstone OD...

As for settings I keep the FUZZ at or VERY near full...on a few of them I pull it back just a hair as I hear a sweet spot between like 9 1/4 and 9 7/8 on the fuzz control.

Volume to unity or a tick above and that's about it really.

In regard to the wah questions most of the time on my big board I use a buffered Wilson Signature wah placed before the Fuzz Face and for my small board I put it before a non buffered Crybaby...

8. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Are you guys all using Fuzzfaces for lead lines, or chord work also?

9. Fender074

Fender074 Member

i use mine for chord work and lead, I love the sound it gives when the fuzz is near enough completely rolled off via the strats volume knob it really does just have a vintage clean sound to it :)

10. Fender074

Fender074 Member

i've heard of these are they any good as in good frequency range?
    Liking the sounds of the rigs you guys have got and its been really intersting to know how you guys use your FF's i thought I was being stupi and not doing it right by stacking it and putting infront of a overdriven amp but turns out you guys do it aswell! Love the Fuzz face will remain on my board forever! :D

Tim

11. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I use a wah and sometimes a BMF Fat Bastard in front of mine (an older Fulltone '69 Pedal). I keep the fuzz set all the way up and the volume at about noon. Like most of the posters above, I control it with the guitar's volume. It can go from completely clean to totally fuzzy this way. I'll leave it on for a whole song, clean and dirty parts and in between. I often even use it as an overdrive.

12. sabby

sabby Member

Always on, full fuzz from Ge trannies, volume boosted and just beneath the level where it gets noisy. Nothing between the FF and my guitar (Strats and Teles). I'm looking to get a buffer for my wah, however.

Behind it I have a Rangemaster clone for occasional mid-boost/focusing, an always on Fromel Shape EQ to fix the Fuzz Face scoop and tame the highs, a volume pedal to control overall volume, a delay set to light faux reverb, and a Blackface Bandmaster.

I never been happier with my sound and ODs seem totally unnecessary at this point.

13. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, don't be so hard on your gear! You've got some of my all-time favorite pedals there.. sooner or later, you'll get an amp to match

I use old tube amps (surprise surprise!) and there are still some bargains out there; Paid less than 200 bucks for my Gibson (!!) Falcon.. Basically, a poor man's Deluxe (20 watts w/built-in trem/reverb) Don't give up hope!

And you're on the right track with FoxRox. I installed Dave's Fuzz-Friendly buffer in a VOX-847, but it's a little trickier than soldering in a pickup. Geoffrey Teese puts 'em in all his RMC wahs if you're not up to converting the JH wah. If you're anything like me, and can't stand the sound of wah after fuzz, the buffer's an absolute godsend - Works exactly as advertised