How do you use your RC Booster?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitargypsy, Mar 4, 2008.

1. guitargypsy

guitargypsy Member

I just got this pedal and it's great, but I can't decide how to use it. Volume boost for solos, gain increase for main distortion tone, EQ for amp, compensate for lower output guitar?

What do you all use it or its equivalent for?

-Chris

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I use it almost at the end of my chain as a solo boost. The only pedal I have after it is a Barber Launch Pad that I use for gain staging with my amp.

3. stratman0602

stratman0602 Member

I use it to cut the bass on my neck pickup. Since the amp is EQ'd to make the bridge pickup sound good, the neck p/u can sound a little whoofy. The RC does this beautifully ... :D

4. vhollund

vhollund Member

I cut out a little treble
    maximum drive
    volume boost to taste but still clean/chrunch
    Nice fat tone

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

All of the above, depending on rig and guitar used.

Typically, mine is front of chain for either a boost during solos or guitar prominent parts of tunes, or stacking with other pedals.

6. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

I use it primarily as a solo boost--slight dip back in the treble, slight boost to the bass, a bit of overdrive added. Love this little box. It really does a terrific job of fattening and fronting single notes.

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Beginning of chain as boost, level equilaizer, and tone EQ as I switch guitars.

8. dave s

dave s Member

Basically same spot on my board as mentioned by flyinbryan. It works great to boost my dist/OD and Fuzz pedals.

Another use I've discovered with the RC is to compensate amp volume when changing guitars. My Ric 360/12 is much louder (hotter pickups) than my strat. When I change to the strat, I turn on and leave on the RC to 'equalize' the volume difference. This way, I don't have to make any amp changes.

dave

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

A little boost of bass and treble, with the gain set to around 12:00. Usually near the front of the chain, post compressor and clean boost (the clean boost pushes the RC into compression for nice, gritty rhythm) as a pedal or amp cooker.

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

All that and more, I also use it to balance out the bridge and neck pups and as a preset volume cut (with eq) to take a crunchy amp down to clean.

11. planetal

planetal Member

My favorite OD type pedal and usually the only one I use. I prefer it as a solo boost into a fenderish amp that is breaking up a bit (i.e. something like a Bandmaster on 5 or 6). I boost the treble and bass to taste and don't add much overdrive. It really keeps the character, sound and feel of the guitar much better than any other boost I've tried. I've also found it does a wonderful job of contributing towards a really clean sound, just back off on the volume with the boost on and the guitar/rc/amp clean up very nicely.

I've used it on a cranked Germino as well, but not to boost for solos, as I didn't need that, but to drop volume and nicely clean up the amp.. worked much better than just working the volume as I could add some EQ without distortion.

12. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I use mine early in the chain to add saturation to my Splawn Pro Mod. It's a high gain amp but can be very stiff sometimes. When I want a saturated tone I use it as a clean boost for my LP.

Right now I am using it as a lead sound to fatten up my Strat. Vol about 3/4 and gain about 1/4 with a bit of treble boost.