How do you use your Timmy? (and where to place mine?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Jan 1, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey all,

Well, after my 2 month wait, my Timmy was waiting patiently for me when i returned from 2 weeks out of town. Needless to say, i was totally psyched.

After unpacking and unwinding, i decided to check this thing out. I ran my guitar (2001 Gibson Custom shop Paul Jackson Jr. - dual 'buckers), into the Timmy and that into my practice amp (a 2003 Fender Blues junior).

I like the sounds and tonal qualities that the pedal has, but i guess i am just a little confused as to how exactly to use it. I guess i was expecting something a little less sublte (like my FDII) and wasn't expecting tones that were quite so subtle.

How do you guys (and gals) use yours? Where do you run it in your chain? How do you EQ it? What about the DIP switches - what are the tonal imp[lications for various configurations of the DIP switches? Do you use it as a clean boost? A first stage mild OD?

When i had mine set up for a clean boost, i had the volume slightly past 1:00 and the gain at zero. The boost I got was noticable, but not huge? I also had a bit of trouble understanding exactly how the EQ controls work (something about a reverse taper?) I read in another post about needing to readjust the EQ controls with each gain adjustment?

Here's my setup if it helps:

Guitars (most with dual 'buckers) > Teese RMC3 > Doobtone Microbuffer2 > EMMA Discumbobulator > TB Loop (Digitech Whammy II in loop) > Analogman Bicomp > Fulltone FD II > Fulltone Dejavibe > Mesa DC-3 or Fender Blues Junior

Effects loop send > EH Small Stone phaser > Boss DD-5 > Volume Pedal (tuner out to Korg tuner) > Line 6 DL4 > Effects Receive (+/- to blues junior for stereo delays).

I guess i am looking for one or two different uses out of the Timmy. Mainly, i am looking to use it as a first stage OD, low gain, just something to give me a nice full boost, maybe with a little gain, but enough umph to drive the tubes a bit. The other option is to use it for a clean boost, or to boost the signal overall, but i'm curious as to how everyone else sets theirs up, where in the chain you run it, and what types of functions does it serve in your rig. I may give Paul a call to talk through some options, but i figured i'd come here first!

I realize I will gain a better insight by playing around with it, but as my schedule dictates (the next 2 weeks on overnight shifts), i may not have much time to experiment, and would like to have a few starting points just to get me in the game - to give me something to work from...

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
    Brian

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Here's how mine is set, I keep it on all the time and just use my guitar volume to go from rhythm to lead...

Gain: (depends on the amp but @ 1 - 1:30)
    Volume: Noon
    Bass: 2 o'clock
    Treble: 1:30

Dip switches both off or least compressed.

I do use a compressor afterwards sometimes to add a touch of chime and softness, just a touch!

3. PaulC

PaulC Member

Hey Brian,

I don't want to go into how the pedal works anymore because I feel like it's getting to spammy here. Call me this week, and I'll walk you around the pedal. Take all the time you need with it. If it doesn't work out for you you can return it.

PaulC

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I use it as a boost for an already driven sound.
    Gain - 8:00
    Volume - 2:00
    Bass - 12:00
    Treble - 9:00

5. trumpus

Right on Paul - thanks for the [seriously] top notch customer service (and support)!

You friggin' rock.

Brian

6. drolling

drolling Member

Fantastic news for me. I'm out of town and the post office has my Timmy, so I'm really looking forward to finally hearing this pedal.

I've spoken to Paul a number of times since I first got hold of him early september, but talking tone and plugging in & playing are two different things.

Everyone's got their own ideas of what a good overdriven tone is, and what some players refer to as a 'clean' boost sounds pretty much like overdrive to me. On the other hand, I've read about other players getting 'grit' out of their SBEQ, which is one of the cleanest, subtlest pedals I've heard. I cannot get the faintest hint of distortion from mine unless I'm driving it w/another pedal.

It's been my impression that many of the so-called 'amp-like' pedals I've played produce too much distortion/coloration at their lowest settings.

So subtle's good! Subtle's great!! I've had a look at those Heritage amps that Paul designs (clips anybody?) and it seems to me that if anyone can create a pedal that actually responds like an amp, Paul should be up to the task.

Thanks for posting, Brian. I'll rejoin this thread after I've spent some time w/Timmy.

7. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I have mine set at:
    Bass & Treb - 8/9
    Gain - 11
    Volume - 10

It is working great to either pushing the clean channel to some od, and if i'm on my gain channel, giving a little lead boost. I dig the pedal.

8. erksin

erksin Member

For low volume playing, I have mine set:

Gain - 3:00 to maxed
    Volume - 10-12:00
    Bass - 1:30
    Treble - 2:00
    Least compressed setting

Higher volumes I need less gain, so minor tweaks accordingly. I don't find the Gain to be fizzy in the least, but I play through a dark amp...

9. trumpus

Thanks for all of the great input. So where in your chain do you run the Timmy?

Brian

10. erksin

erksin Member

Last in the chain of ODs to reap the benefit of the Timmys excellent EQ, before any modulation effects...

11. noises ten

noises ten Member

Ditto on that....

Wah--Hellbilly---Timmy---Modulation---etc.

I run an EL84 amp (TopHat King Royale) on the edge of breakup, with the Timmy as my main OD... The EQ controls are genius, I get comments at just about every gig... I am very pleased with this setup....

This pedal sounds just like my amp cranked...

12. trumpus

Nice!

I run an EL84 amp (Mesa DC-3) as my main amp, so i'm psyched to test this out with all mu effects (as of now, i've only run it straight into my blues junior to make sure it worked!).

as for placement, i can put it after my FDII, but since i run my mod effects in my effects loop, how will this affect the idea of running it "before" my modulation effects? Am I still technically running it before them (i think, right?).

Brian

13. trumpus

Bump!

Great input - but more suggestions would be great. I finally got around to experimenting a bit with it today (and all of my otyher effects in my direct chain) and i love this thing.

I used it as a straight off clean boost (treble/bass/gain all at 0, volume at 1-3), a low gain OD (gain at 8, bass/treble at about noon, volume at about noon-1) and it sounded great.

By the nature of how i rearranged my board today, i'm running this last overall. I was wondering how to acheive that "SHO-like" sprakle/fattness, so that i can try leaving it on all the time just to clean up/EQ my signal a bit? I've got a SHO on the way, but if i can get the Timmy to do this, in addition to the other functions, i might turn around and sell the SHO (which i am planning on running at the end of my chain, to try to get that sparkle/fattness that i hear so much about!).

Brian