How do you wire your strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TheFlash, Jul 14, 2008.

How do you wire your strat?

1. vol/neck tone/mid tone (no tone for bridge)

2. vol/neck tone/bridge tone (no tone for mid)

3. vol/neck tone/mid+bridge tone

4. vol/master tone/blender knob

5. other (describe)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I found a strat that I love and I'm trying to decide how to wire the tone pots...tell me why you like your setup!

2. GDking

GDking Member

I use a volume, midboost, master tone setup. If I had no midboost I would just have 2 knobs :)

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've had many configurations on Strats including some of the neat things that Kinman is doing...but I come back to just wanting a simple strat with neck and bridge tone control and no tone control on mid. Ala the Eric Johnson setup if you will. I think it works perfect.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Normal, but no tone control on the bridge. I usually hate it. It neuters the bridge pickup. Sure it's nice to warm it occasionally, but even when it's at 10, it takes away some of the crunch and power of the bridge pickup if you A-B it. It's like the volume knob is lowered to 8-9. Just loses a little balls, I guess. Maybe a no load pot would be good.

5. DrBob

DrBob Member

5 way switch, Volume Pot, whilst I know that other players get incredible results from the tone pots I've never really had the delicacy of touch to get much useful out of them.

In fact maybe the problem is that I abandoned tone pots back when I was playing Korean/Japanese/Mexican Strats with nasty small pan pots, and I've stayed with it now I've made the leap to real 'Merican' Strat types with nice big Switchcraft pots.

A re-evaluation maybe overdue....

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

The simple version with regular 5 way:

Master volume, tone for neck and tone for bridge, no tone for mid pickup. Push/push pot (bridge tone pot) to add neck pickup.

The less simple version with a super 5 way switch:

Master volume, tone for neck, tone for bridge and tone for the rest of the configuration.

Also using a push/push mini switch. First tone pot has push/push switch, and a 500K/500K concentric stacked tone pots.

Pickup selection:
    - Neck or mid
    - Neck or mid or both in parallel, then in parallel with bridge pickup
    - Neck or mid or both in parallel, then in series with bridge pickup
    - Neck or mid or both in parallel, then in series and out of phase with bridge pickup
    - Bridge pickup

If the bridge pickup is a humbucker, a 5 way rotary switch would be added and there would be only 2 tone pots, one for bridge pickup and one for the rest of the selection.

The 5 way rotary controls the humbucker to get:
    - North single coil
    - South single coil
    - Both coils in parallel
    - Both coils in series, out of phase
    - Standard full output humucker

:drink

7. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Vol/Neck - Bridge tone/middle tone and Villex passive boost wired into the jacksocket cup thing. (7db boost with slight mid boost). Can back off the middle tone to affect 3 out of 5 positions, and have the option to back off tone on the bridge there as well.

8. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

I have my neck & middle pickup wired on one tone control (the middle one) and the bridge pickup on it's own tone control. I often have the tone of the bridge pickup down to 7 or 8 and leave the other pickups on 10. I really don't like the sound of pickups without a tone control so this works great for me.

9. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Normal strat wiring, but tone control moved from middle to bridge pu. (No tone control on middle pu).

10. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

volume, no tone, 5way and a mini toggle for front/rear/all3 combinations.

11. PFCG

PFCG Member

1 volume one tone, 5 way, pull for neck on.

12. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

one master volume push/pull split coils
    one master tone push/pull add neck pickup to bridge pickup
    one master midrange tone from Rothstein

13. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I wired a push/pull pot so I can go between option 1 and 3. I always leave it in the old vintage position though.

14. claudel

claudel Member

Neck and Bridge on a Telecaster 4 way switch that gives series/neck/parallel/bridge
    Middle on a blender pot in the first tone knob hole. Can add as much or as little as I want to the others.
    One tone to bind them all.

15. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

blend wiring schematic on fralin site :)

amazing variety and quality of gorgeous tone!

16. KBR

KBR Member

like SRV,s

master vol
    master tone
    dummy pot
    5 way switccraft switch

17. MartinC

MartinC Member

My Suhr strat has one volume and one master tone. I ordered it that way 'cos I almost never touched the tone controls on my Fender strat, so I figured I'd just keep things simple.

18. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

19. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Ditto. I have the exact same setup and put the bridge tone in the same exact place. Works for me. I have the pickups balanced so that if I switch back to the bridge, even with some tone rolled off, it's at or above the neck volume, which is where I want it to be. So in other words, playing with the pickup height and the physics involved with the vibrating string, I can balance the output and the tone of each position. I don't have a five way, use the traditional three way.

20. bek

bek Member

I also use Deaf-Eddie's stuff, going to a master tone/master volume setup, on a regular Strat. It's a no-brainer, cheap and easy and sounds great. I went to an SSH setup to experiment, hoping for a useable bridge-hb sound, and had Eddie wire up a 5-way to give me something a little different. 1-- neck (standard), 2-- neck/middle in parallel (standard quack), 3-- neck/middle in series plus bridge bucker (one HUGE duck!), 4-- all pickups in parallel (the bridge bucker with a lot more chime and single-coil character), 5-- bridge bucker (no coil splits here). I went with a master volume, tone on the neck only, tone on the bridge only. This setup allows great versatility, with some tones I have just never heard anywhere else. Good tones. Of course, I'm using a wonderful set of pickups from VintageVibe -- has a lot to do with it. Food for thought.