How does a Gain Changer compare to an OCD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dotlights, May 7, 2014.

1. dotlights

dotlights Member

Hi everyone! I've been playing an OCD (v2) for years, and although I'm not unhappy with it I'm kind of on the lookout for something new. I'm looking for a slight boost in volume and gain with a vintage type of tone. Not very bright sounding, not too much of an attack to it.

I usually run my OCD at 18V set to LP in the low gain territory (around 9 'o clock). I play a Thinline '72 tele through a clean Sovtek MIG 100 and Fender Blues Deluxe. I pair the OCD with an MXR Micro Amp (in front) set slightly above unity gain to add some extra gain when needed.

Now, I must say that I don't know that much about OD pedals. Bought the OCD years ago and have never really tried anything else. There's so much out there that I don't know where to start. The versatility of the Gain Changer is why it got my attention. Do any of you have experience with both the Gain Changer and OCD for the kinds of low-gain applications I described? Would the Gain Changer fit my needs? Thanks!

2. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

I can only comment on the difference between my old OCD v4 and my current Gain Changer, but the GC does a better edge-of-breakup sound IMO. Moving up into low-gain crunch, it has a smoother attack and a bit more mids (even more so if you move the toggle from SR to flat/fat or LTD modes). The GC would fit your needs but only you can tell if it sits and responds the way you want it to in your mix/volume situation. The GC tone control is versatile but has a trade-off in its two more pronounced "tilt" settings (SR and flat/fat.) If you want a full low-end, you give up some top-end presence, so you can't duplicate what I think of as the "OCD" eq. If you're ok with that smoother top end, it may work for you.

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I think the Direct Drive is more in the OCD camp. The Gain Changer is a little more transparent and has a more range in the lower gain realm.

4. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

The Gain Changer is a more versatile pedal, and is not as loose sounding to me as the OCD. I have both...

5. doublee

doublee Member

I also have/had both and think the OCD is a little creamier (is that a word?) sounding, and often prefer it for my uses, say if I want some ZZ Top / greasy blues sound out of a Fender amp.

I will trade anyone straight up my GC for your oCD 4...........

6. dotlights

dotlights Member

Thanks for the input, guys! Good to read some of you actually own both of these pedals. Looks like the Gain Changer could be a pedal that'd fit my needs. I'll probably pull the trigger on it, but hold on to my OCD just in case it doesn't work out. :)

FenderBigot likes this.
  7. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

In the videos the GC sounds like a ts variant. Do I have that wrong?

8. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

9. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

I’ve had both, and remember the OCD being more aggressive, a bit more distortion box like. The GC is an amazing pedal, I remember it feeling really smooth and having a lot of gain on tap, but not like the OCD. More compression, whereas the OCD was “bigger” at higher gain levels (read - more low end which isn’t necessarily a good thing always).

The GC is far more versatile, and melded with my amp more than the OCD I had did.

jamester likes this.
  10. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Yes.

The GC kills the OCD in my world. As mentioned above... it’s much more versatile.

11. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

12. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

13. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

I have both on my board. The OCD is more open sounding and can get into Marshall territory. The Gain Changer gets more mid focused when cranked. I like the GC for low gain dirt and the OCD for higher gain.

earwax and wannabeatle like this.
  14. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

I guess. The Fulldrive and SD-1 is all the TS I need. Just saw one come up recently for sale in my area and thought about trying it. Maybe the Direct Drive you would be more my speed. Love the OCD over the TS.

15. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

The GC is totally different than the OCD. I have a new OCD GE at the moment but have tried other OCDs over the years. I have had most of the coveted ODs and I think the gain changer is one of the better ones. It can cover a lot of ground and does low gain and mid crunchy stuff about as good as you can get. The OCD is a more aggressive almost distortion pedal. I like the GE version a lot but there is a lot of gain and volume on tap in all of the versions that I have tried and that generally goes unused for my needs. I use the GC 80% of the time.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    earwax likes this.