• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How does a heavily oxidised pickup cover affect sound?

purestmonk

I have a guitar that has got pickup covers quite badly oxidised as I do not keep them in my guitar case often. How will that affect the performance of my guitar?

Cheers

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
It depends on how they oxidized. Was it due to sweat or just overall humidity? I find that oxidation by sweat tends to dampen the high end a little bit but at the same time seems to push the low-mids a pinch. A real "woody" tone if you will. However, oxidation by general humidity does the opposite in many ways. My experience is that my tone got quite tinny and lacked some of the bottom end that I really like. It definitely took away that "spongy" quality that I like in my tone.

amigo30

But we're talking about minute changes right? And is it possible to change the pickup covers?
What kind of pickups and guitar do you have? It would help to answer the question as to whether it would be difficult to change the pickup covers.

You should know, some people pay extra money to get their pickup covers all rusty and gooey.

purestmonk

I have it on my Gibson semi-hollow. it's 57' classic humbuckers and the covers are silver in colour.

What kind of pickups and guitar do you have? It would help to answer the question as to whether it would be difficult to change the pickup covers.

You should know, some people pay extra money to get their pickup covers all rusty and gooey.

Foster

It depends on how they oxidized. Was it due to sweat or just overall humidity? I find that oxidation by sweat tends to dampen the high end a little bit but at the same time seems to push the low-mids a pinch. A real "woody" tone if you will. However, oxidation by general humidity does the opposite in many ways. My experience is that my tone got quite tinny and lacked some of the bottom end that I really like. It definitely took away that "spongy" quality that I like in my tone.

You can't possibly think this was a serious answer, can you?

pcovers

You can't possibly think this was a serious answer, can you?
I'm going to have to let one of my buddies that sweats a lot borrow my sterile sounding guitar, now that I know how to get that woody mojo I've hears so much about.

Foster

Get ready for a vintage tone explosion.

The pickup cover sweat mod is almost as awesome as aging your knobs.

I aged the pickup selector tip on my Strat and two hours later I was literally scraping vintage tone off the ceiling.

pcovers

It is an obvious difference that is most easily heard when facing east and before noon. Otherwise, the difference is not so apparent.

Trending Topics