1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How does a Landgraff Mod compare to a Lovepedal Eternity?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Jun 8, 2006.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Is there a lot of crossover between these two pedals? I have an Eternity and I love it but I am interested in the Landgraff but if these pedals cover the same sonic territory than I don't need it. Any info from people who have played both would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

The mod is based on a rat.

3. landru64

landru64 Member

yeah but it is really nothing like a RAT. RATs don't feel nearly as good and are, even the best ones, never as rich or touch responsive. it is only comparable to a RAT in that it doesn't have the TS-type midrange honk.

i've tried the eternity and it neither is as rich and touch responsive. like all landgraff things, it plays itself. the eternity is much stiffer and strikes me as more the kind of OD you'd use to combine with the amp's overdrive a la klon or tim or whatever. but my memory of it is fading since it's been a while. the mo'd is to me like a cornish G2 except without the buzzy high end of the latter.

just my opinion....

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Right, and the Landy Do is nothing like the tubescreamer right?? :p

I am not talking about the new reissue rats here, I am talking about the old big box originals.

5. landru64

landru64 Member

i had one of the old big box originals. i just had another one in here. not the same thing as a mo'd.

and, you're right, the landy do is really not much like a tubescreamer imho. way more gain, way richer, way more 'give'. it's 'familially related' but to me only vaguely. only again in the sense that it has that mid EQ. i always tell people if they want something closer to a TS that is better than a TS, then the MJM Blues Devil is the ticket.

6. Improviser

Improviser Member

Speaking of RATs, I have a couple of early 80's RATs - a 'big box' one and a 'white face' one. Love the feel/dynamics, though would love a touch more bottom-end and less overall compression (turns to mush) at higher gain settings. Does the MOD address these concerns.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Tried the Keeley 3-way and preferred the originals unmodded.

7. landru64

landru64 Member

yes. not mushy at any gain setting. i am pretty sure it has more bottom, but my 'system' doesn't resolve bottom much except in the form of muddiness (i'm not a 4x12 kind of guy). i think it may be as compressed, but it isn't mushy. i think you can also do 'tone kit' mods on the mo'd to tailor the bottom end.

white face====cool!!
    yeah...what's up with that keeley mod.... :)

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Same here. I have an old White faced rat and an original Big Box rat. Great pedals!

BTW I agree on the blues devil. Nails the old 808 sound.

9. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

So how do I get a Mo'd? do I have to contact Mr. Landgraff directly? If so how do I do this? Can you compare the Mo'd to the Do?

10. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

You contact John Landgraff to buy it.

I love both the DO and the Mo'D although I don't currently own either, I have had two of each in the past. To me the Mo'D kind of takes up where the DO leaves off. It really has a juicy, fat distortion sound to it. They are expensive enough that I tend to sell them to fund other purchases, then I buy them again later. I've also been quite happy with my Burriss Boostiest (one side clean boost, one side TS-type boost) on the board to cover the TS-type tones. I guess my conclusion is that in a live band setting, the difference between the Burriss and the DO is not discernable enough to justify the extra expense. If money was no object (yeah, right), I'd own both the Landgraph pedals, and both the high gain Cornish pedals (G-2 & P-2) too.

Just my rambling $0.02...

-Dennis

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

I have owned both and spent many hours a/b'ing them. The Eternity was one of my favorites until I got the Landgraff. The Landgraff has more gain, is much smoother and thicker. More low end. Works much better at low volumes. More versatile with the 3 way switch. By comparison, the Eternity sounds fuzz like and bit transistory. The feel on the Landgraff is a bit faster to me, while the Eternity had a bit of sag to my ears/hands, which I liked. But MO'D is more touch sensitive in that you can have the gain up high, play lighty and its clean. I DO like the Eternity, but the MO'D just works a lot better for me. The MO'D is also about twice the cost of the Eternity.

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

Have you actually played it? A Dumble is based on a Fender, if you've ever played one you would know they are clearly very different.

13. JPenn

JPenn Member

Completely different pedals I know, but how does the MOD compare with the OCD? The OCD seems to get too thick in a live 2 guitar setting for me. If the MOD has as much (or more) lowend as the OCD, it's not a pedal I'm interested in.

Another thing I'm not liking about the OCD is how responsive it is to volume changes. When I drop my volume knob down to 8, it's like other pedals down to 3. I'd like to have a little bit more range to work with.

I know this wasn't an OCD thread, but you got a free bump out of it!!:AOK

14. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

So to order a MOD you have to contact John Landgraff directly?? How is that possible, could you please pm me his contact info?

15. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I use a JTM45-style amp (Germino Club 40) I want a very punchy and clear od/dis pedal, one that will not mush-out when dialed with lots of gain. Between the OD and teh M'OD what would you suggest?

16. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Thanks for all of the responses. I still have no idea how to contact John Landgraff. If you don't want to post his info than can someone pm me, thanks.

17. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Nope. I did like the eternity better than the Landy DO though. Much better bang for the buck. If I am gonna pay $500 bucks for a distortion it damn well better be able to get me a beer and cook me dinner. MY foxrox ZIM comes close to that :D

18. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

I wouldn't mind having Landgraff's contact info either if someone would be as kind...

--Jason

19. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

John Landgraff - 850 341 2310 - nice guy, great pedals......

20. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member