How does a Reeves Custom Lead High Gain sound with a Strat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Glass Onion, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

I got v60-LP pickups in my 93 Strat Plus. Anyone have any info on the Reeves Custtom Lead HIgh Gain with a strat. I am looking to buy one soon and it appears to be the amp I want.

ANY INFO GREATLY APPRECIATED

2. Glass Onion

I know there are clips on the site but I am thinking more along the lines of a lead sound with a Strat. Anybody?

3. soapbarp90

soapbarp90 Silver Supporting Member

Glass Onion,
    I recently acquired a Custom Lead HG and I can tell you it's a lot of amp. I have never played through an amp that has more gain(in a good way). I have a 74 Strat and a G&L Legacy and they both sound great through the amp.The real question is what kind of tone do you want? The Custom Lead produces a variety of tone from sparkling cleans to dirty creamy sustain. It's extremely well made like all Reeves amps and the HG boost really works well. Feel free to ask me any more specific questions you might have.

4. Glass Onion

Thanks I am looking at the clarity without the ice pick aspect. To be more precise i want good girthy tones with plenty of clarity and no harsh highs. I have had JCM 800s and loved tham but not quite enough note bloom. I have a Uninvalve right now that is great but I want more headroom and bombastic great cut through single note burn and power. Hendrix by way of Eddie may be the best way of stating it. Chords ring true but lead soars.

Sounds like a little much to ask from one amp I know. I do have other amps so I can use an AB set up. Not looking for prstine clean just a good lead sound.

Thank you so much for responding. I am in Mississippi so the chance to try any boutique jems is extremely limited. <My other option at the moment is a Soldano SLO head but it owuld be 1000 more.

Welcome to the forum by the way. This is a great place for info and they are a real good bunch of cats. Look forward to seeing you around.

5. soapbarp90

soapbarp90 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the welcome. Agreed, this is a great forum. I have been reading for awhile. On a final note, I believe the Custom Lead HG should give you exactly what you are looking for. I have found more tone that makes me smile in the dirty areas rather than the clean. Also, you won't believe how well the boost footswitch works. You can contral the amount of gain with a knob on the back and it's almost like having 2 channels but both are crisp and creamy.
    Good luck with your purchase.

PS If I were going to tour professionally, this is the amp I would use. It's built like a tank. Also, with the Power Scailng you can play it a bedroom levels with great results.