1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

How does a "slim taper 1960" Les Paul neck compare to a strat neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I have been playing strats with modern "c" and soft "v" necks for 26 years. I want to buy a Les Paul. Can anyone compare the "slim taper 1960" Les Paul neck to these strat necks>

2. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

I have two slim taper gibsons that I love. My favorite Gibson neck shape. I would say somewhat similar to the thickness of a typical Fender 60's neck which tend to be C shaped. But the slip taper is closer to a U wuth more shoulder than the Fender C. I get along very well with both slim taper necks and Fender 60's C shape

3. dcamp

dcamp Member

The fretboard radius is much more flat on a Gibson(12in.) than a vintage 7.5 in.Fender.

4. bynt

bynt Member

Exactly. If you like thinner Fenders', you'll probably like the slim taper. It's too slim for me. I like fat necks but they're comparable. I would say it's the closest thing you're going to find if that's your bag. It's a U shape, but a really thin one? I don't know if that makes any sense but it's my experience.

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

My response would be just like bynt and Blue4Now, slim taper is like the 60s Fender C.

6. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

i havent played a lot of the slim taper necks, but to me they seem pretty wide but almost flat across the back. kinda similar to a thin ibanez style to me.

7. coreybox

coreybox Member

Really thin, with a D (almost flat) profile.

I prefer a much fatter neck, but they still play ok.

8. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

love the 60s slim on my LPs, prefer it to the strats TBH, but the shorter scale length also helps on the LP.