How does an analogue octave divider work?

Stig Ø

Greetings TGP,

I've read an explanation in layman's terms of how an octavia works, i.e the Hendrix-type octave effect that adds an octave above what you're playing, unless you're playing multiple notes, 'cause then it adds... strangeness. The explanation was, as I recall it, that the negative part of the wave (the troughs if you will) is polarity-inversed, and added to the positive part. If you then get rid of the DC offset, you're more or less left with a signal an octave above the signal at the input.

My question is, how does one go about making an analogue octave divider? I've read about it among other places on Wikipedia, but I'm just not getting it. Can anyone provide an explanation that is sort of human-readable? If so, I'd be very grateful.

Chrome Dinette

There is a very good post at the following link by RG Keen. He lays it out about as simple as it can be made:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=1146.0;wap2

Along with the methods he mentions, it is also possible to do analog octave(and multiple octaves) down, using neon lamps. Voltages have to be high, if I am not mistaken, so it probably needs to be tube circuits in and out. There is a PDF of an old GE neon lamp technical manual with multiple low octave divider circuits.

Trending Topics