How does everyone afford all these guitars?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 909one, Oct 23, 2008.

1. 909one

909one Member

Ok, I was just looking at this thread....
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=453002

A lot of you are posting pictures of your music rooms. In some cases people have more than a dozen guitars, and more than a handful of amps and effects.

My question is, how does everyone afford all of these instruments?
    Most of you obviously aren't working musicians, because if that was the case, you'd never be able to to afford all the stuff you have. Most of my friends are musicians, and even those who have pretty decent day jobs don't even own close to the amount of gear in these pictures.

What does everyone do during the day?

I am a graphic designer, and on my salary its still pretty tough to make any major purchases without getting into credit card debt.

2. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I sell the organs that I have two of . Seriously I have a lot of guitars but dont know how.

3. jay42

jay42 Member

I live in an area with an unbelievable number of BMWs and expensive SUVs, often driven by expensive looking women. I've come to the conclusion that there are a substantial number of people who make much better coin than I do....or, are really stupidly mortgaged. There's only so much beach area to go around. I suppose I don't really qualify to live where I do.

4. aeronius

aeronius Member

credit cards, leftover school loan cash, good day job (web designer)... as long as i have all my bases covered (bills, rent, etc.) it's all good :)

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Keep in mind that some of these folks have been playing guitar for 30+ years. If they put $1,000 into their hobby every year, you can see how they might end up with a lot of nice stuff.

Bryan

6. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

I'm with you 909..I have 4 guitars and two amps.
    Through the years the pieces change.

.. but I find it very strange that someOyalls got so many geetars..

7. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

I pimp myself out to old cougars.

8. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I've been playing for close to 10 years and have accumulated a lot of stuff over the years. These days I either just save up for what I want or use some kind of no payments/no interest deal. I don't make much money at all, but I have some decent gear.

9. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Bit by bit it adds up. I've been playing for 28 years and so- you can imagine. Also guitars, for a while seemed to be cheap- then they went nuts. Now they're getting cheaper but not where they were. Les Paul jr.s from the 50's were 250-800 bucks for the longest time. I remember scoffing at the first one I saw @ 1500.

I do make a (******) living playing and recording music so to some extent I need these things like a lawyer need nice suits or a carpenter needs good tools. Though I do have a few things that are excessive now. I'm thinking of selling off a big chunk, but with the market the way it is...why?

I also used to never sell anything. Then I sold a bunch of things that had appreciated and so I got to buy more stuff. I only spend what's already spent on gear now. So for something to come in...something must go.

It can get pretty nutty I admit. The clutter, cases and just plain ol' clutter drives my wife batty.

10. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

This is pretty much true. If I put as much money into guitars a year as an average cigarette habit, pretty soon I have a roomful, while all the smoker has is a medical condition.
    Guitars and amps don't get used up by using them, thy are simple, very few parts to break or go wrong, cheap and easy when they do. There are also no compatibility issues between eras, so they do not become obsolete and need to be replaced. They last for decades easily.

If you want an expensive hobby, try racing ANYTHING !! You'll blow a lot of dough and have no obvious thing to show for it. Guitars and amps are not lioke that

11. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I use the money I didn't spend on a boat and a Harley.

12. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

It doesn't always apply, but once when Zappa was asked how he was able to afford the studio he had in his house he said. "The money didn't go up my nose". If you have no vices, reasonable overhead, maybe no kids and no ex wives, you can afford gear.

13. 909one

909one Member

True...
    I guess the key word here is 'hobby'. I guess my post is maybe more of a comment on the irony of this situation: Most working musicians can barely afford to buy a few pieces of nice gear, but those with day jobs can afford to buy the gear they want, but usually are unable to really invest the time needed to make playing music something beyond a hobby.

I am 33, been playing for about 17 years, but I spent about 5 years living extremely poorly, but playing in as many bands as I could. I toured the US and Europe a couple of times, but still had to borrow instruments to play on some of these tours. Now I am starting to be able to afford stuff, but I don't as much time to work on music as I'd like.

14. baxen

baxen Member

Age is a factor, I'm 50 and have been buying since the early seventies. I rarely played in the 90's but I never sold anything and hopefully never will. The guitars that are so expensive in the vintage market were just nice used guitars when I was a kid. I only had a couple of amps until I found this place, now I'm hovering around 10 on those. I still want to buy a Soloway and will in the near future and am always interested in those "deal of a lifetime" guitars. All that said I have a good job but definately not in the doctor, lawyer income level.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  15. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

One of the REAL ironies is when struggling musicians are getting themselves deeply into debt for gear while musicians with decent paychecks are getting the gear for free.

16. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

To me, 'hobby' is not a pejorative term. It does reflect what music making is for the vast majority of musicians.

Bryan

17. 909one

909one Member

Yes! Also very true! You could start another post on that.

Its funny how people in big bands are always getting gear endorsements but they are usually the ones who don't need it!

18. playon

playon Supporting Member

19. 909one

909one Member

No offense meant by the term hobby! Just pointing out the differences!

20. baxen

baxen Member

Sometimes I think I buy gear to reward myself or help me justify my decision to put my job first in my life versus things I would rather do such has playing music full time. When I see all my stuff it makes me feel I haven't given up on the dream!