• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

How does Gilmour play a Muff without noise?

Grendel2000

Supporting Member
I bought a Ram's Head reissue (twice) but I just can't deal with the background noise so I've sold them off both times. Recently I bought a Source Audio Kingmaker hoping that I could build a Muff/G2 type preset in it that doesn't have as much noise as the RH did. So far I'm not getting a huge improvement unless I use the built in noise gate. I don't love the noise gate. I find it off-putting jumping from dead silent to loud all the time back and forth.

So how does Gilmour do it?

Looking at the public info on Gilmourish and Kit Rae's site it doesn't seem he uses a noise gate or anything similar. Is it as simple as running the volume on the guitar down during non-playing parts of a song, and having enough volume to cover the noise when playing? He's playing single coils in position 1 so it shouldn't be an issue of noise cancelling helping him. I'm also playing a strat with SSL-5 in the bridge, so no obvious technical difference.

What's the deal? What am I missing?

Last edited:

scott58

I do it both ways. Depending on what I'm doing. I usually just turn on the noise gate in my POD, but volume works too.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Turning down the guitar volume with a BM doesn’t work like it does with a Fuzz Face. It generally sounds dull, lifeless, and muddy. I’m pretty sure he just turns the thing off when he’s not using it for distortion.

I’d wager there’s plenty of noise on the raw, unmastered guitar tracks. It’s just obscured in the mix and/or muted between the playing.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
Are we talking noise that bothers you in the basement or out at the gig? Those two perspectives tend to be very different. I'm sure Gilmour's rig was super noisy live...but gates at the desk/console go a long way to masking that as does good editing.

Grendel2000

Supporting Member
Are we talking noise that bothers you in the basement or out at the gig? Those two perspectives tend to be very different. I'm sure Gilmour's rig was super noisy live...but gates at the desk/console go a long way to masking that as does good editing.
I don't gig. Still learning - trying to be a sponge in general (hence the question). So it's just me and my stuff at home.

FbIsNotE

Everything above.

He is known for being LOUD!!! You're probably not using the same signal to noise ratio he is.

I find the noisegate to be essential with all the Muffs and FF in Kingmaker.

I never bothered much with analog versions of Muff, FF and most Fuzz exactly because the noise penalty was too high for me.

The variety and control Kingmaker offers with the Noise Gate AND the Filter Gate is the only reason I bother with Muff, FF tones at all.

Pick53766

Muff is an evil, evil thing. I love it to death. :)

David is the grand master of muting, volume control, precision and noise management. In his playing, what you hear is 30% of what he does, the rest of what he does is managing noise, squeaks, rumbles, rattles, overtones, evil harmonics and all the other nastiness.

Muff is a box that will take whatever is wrong with your input signal and amplify it greatly.

It is the ultimate right of passage - if you can play it on the muff, you really CAN play it. I practice on the muff a lot because it is the most unforgiving thing. Then you go, do the same thing on a tubescreamer and you are golden.

So, long story short - muff's not behaving? Become a better player. Muff can easily be the last gain pedal you will master.

FbIsNotE

I bought a Ram's Head reissue (twice) but I just can't deal with the background noise so I've sold them off both times. Recently I bought a Source Audio Kingmaker hoping that I could build a Muff/G2 type preset in it that doesn't have as much noise as the RH did. So far I'm not getting a huge improvement unless I use the built in noise gate. I don't love the noise gate. I find it off-putting jumping from dead silent to loud all the time back and forth.

So how does Gilmour do it?

Looking at the public info on Gilmourish and Kit Rae's site it doesn't seem he uses a noise gate or anything similar. Is it as simple as running the volume on the guitar down during non-playing parts of a song, and having enough volume to cover the noise when playing? He's playing single coils in position 1 so it shouldn't be an issue of noise cancelling helping him. I'm also playing a strat with SSL-5 in the bridge, so no obvious technical difference.

What's the deal? What am I missing?
Have you tried using the parametric EQ set very narrow in the offending freq. range and attenuating it?

Sometimes you can do this and still dial in the tone you want.

Are you running a compressor? I run a comp. before KM so that may be why my experience with the Noise Gate is different.

I find the gate to have great dynamics. Notes fade way below 1/4 of max volume before being choked by the NG.

If you are running a comp. after KM (or any dirt for that matter) noise control is going to be more of a problem IMHO.

JPH118

The loop feature on a Boss NS-2 Noise suppressor pedal might work well with the Muff, that’s my first thought. Once you start playing with others and gigging, you won’t notice the noise though.

sonikjuice

There is always going to be some noise, like waves when you aren’t playing. But when you are playing live because of all the other background noise it really isn’t noticeable.

One thing that might help is a Furman power strip. I recently purchased a Furman SS-6 Pro Surge Suppressor Strip and it reduced the noise considerably. It’s only $35. It’s a solid strip so even if it doesn’t reduce the noise in your rig it’s still useful.

Grendel2000

Supporting Member
There is always going to be some noise, like waves when you aren’t playing. But when you are playing live because of all the other background noise it really isn’t noticeable.

One thing that might help is a Furman power strip. I recently purchased a Furman SS-6 Pro Surge Suppressor Strip and it reduced the noise considerably. It’s only $35. It’s a solid strip so even if it doesn’t reduce the noise in your rig it’s still useful.
I had looked at a Furman SS6B but not the SS6B Pro. Amazon says the pro version is $79. Did you find it somewhere that has a discount?

Trending Topics