How does guitar volume knob affect on tone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by JohnHorne, Aug 18, 2008.

1. JohnHorne

JohnHorne Member

I like to mess with the guitar's volume knob a lot to adjust the tone (yes, the volume knob - not the tone knob!) I do this with overdrive, but I especially like the sound my jazz archtop when I roll the volume knob down to about 2-3. I find that I can get close to a classic Jim Hall/Joe Pass vibe happening this way and I can generally then crank up the amp and retain whatever change in tone the volume knob is making, but I need a pretty loud amp to make it happen in some performance situations. Opening the volume knob up all the way sounds okay, but sometimes sounds too much like a solidbody electric for lack of a better description.

So my questions are:

1. What exactly is happening to the guitar tone as I roll off the volume? This is something I've never really understood.

and:

2. Is there another way to achieve similar results with EQ or whatnot? Probably not, huh?

2. JohnHorne

JohnHorne Member

YES! That's what I'm talking about. Jim Hall's sound is sooo perfect.

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out!

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

hell yeah, work that volume knob! that's where all the rest of the sounds in your amp are!

i like it best in amps that get thicker and darker as they get fed more signal, like marshalls, so that turning down results in a nice bright clean tone.