How does he do that..youtube file Blues vid. example.

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Dylan61, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

2. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

:confused: Not sure I understand what you're getting at. It's a blues scale....pentatonic minor licks.

3. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Yep that was what I was looking for,

pentatonic minor licks you say,

thanks NitroLiq.

4. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

It's all pentatonic minor stuff but the kid does have a pretty good feel for it and knows the neck well.It's pretty tasty.

5. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Its 3 positions of the A minor pentatonic, and honestly, its all pretty routine IMO. His vibrato is fairly weak, and theres no sustain or gutsiness to that tone at all.
    I'm no speed freak or anything, but that didnt really go anywhere....

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that backing track...

7. retro

retro Member

Nashvillesteve, I clicked on his name and he has links to where he is getting his BT's. One didn't work but the other is for GuitarBT. Which has some great BT's.

http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php

Downloads are offline until the 1st.

Have to do some searching but I liked that BT too.

I agree tonezoneonline, I actually thought he has a pretty good feel for what he was playing and a decent sense of timing and taste. That can make a killer player in time.

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

If you want to add a little interest, play the same fingering down 3 frets. A lot of guys will do that when they get to the V chord.

9. jakins

jakins Member

yeah, that didnt go anywhere...not to roust the kid, he's a good player for his age and im sure he's having fun, but REDUNDANT use of minor penatonic and no real melody.

10. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Good player for his age? According to his Youtube profile, he's 31 :AOK Clapton was well into being God :)D) at that age, and that was 30 something years ago :)

11. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Is it is not so good?

Soloing is new for me, so I tought it's a good starting point trying to figure out how he is doing it.

12. lhallam

lhallam Member

You're going to find all kinds of experts on the net with all kinds of opinions.

I've seen people on here say that Jimi Hendrix had bad timing, Eric Claption hasn't done anything since 1966 and so forth.

This guy plays OK and is as good as any place to get your feet wet. He's a bit redundant which often happens the longer the backing track is. The bigger your vocabulary, the more interest available. However even with a limited vocabulary, if you play melodically people will tend to like your playing.

There is a wealth of resources and lots of approaches. Unless you have an incredible natural ear, I highly suggest taking some lessons. Also find a cut you like and try to figure out the lead by ear.

As for folks on The Gear Page you'll need to figure out who's advice you want to listen to. I can tell you that Tomo teaches at Berklee, Krosser teaches at GIT and dkaplowitz was a GIT graduate. There are quite a few other guys who know their stuff as well.

Have fun.

13. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

The solo is all in Am pentatonic, but the backing track shifts from chord to chord, which makes the solo sound interesting. In other words, it's the contrast between the notes of the solo and the harmony of the chords that makes it sound cool.

14. retro

retro Member

Thanks! I appreciate it.

15. CudBucket

CudBucket Member

The internet is great because it allows us to see and hear musicians of all levels. I've learned so much because of it and can only wonder where I'd be if I had these resources in the 80's. It's sad though that so many feel the need to critique clips like this to death.

16. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Cudbucket

Well I was very impressed to see him playing, it is just some levels up as I am playing now. Good tone too!

17. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

It won't take you long to get to that level. When you hear it in your head you'll be able to play it, and better.

18. daddyo

daddyo Guest

It is a fine example of blues playing. No ground breaking stuff - just competant execution of the correct notes. But it does go on for too long. That solo should be 36 bars.

19. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The solo was just fine for what it is--what you're really learning from this thread is how guitar players are some of the most conceited individuals on the planet. :D