How does Knopfler use the volume pedal ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TanquerayCowboy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

... and where can I hear examples of it? I hear a tremolo effect on his later solo albums and am wondering how much of that is amp and how much is him rocking that pedal.

2. jay42

jay42 Member

I think he uses it live more than in the studio. I don't have access to all my Dire Straits CDs right now. I think there's some use on the song Brothers In Arms. On The Night is a worthwhile live album. I have the DVD version. He uses it often. Having seen them on that tour, both he and Phil Palmer [Ray & Dave Davies' nephew] were using two Ernie Ball pedals each. One was for volume and the other was amp switching, so I think it was the stereo version. In the dark recesses of my mind, I believe the volume pedals were somewhere internal to the pedalboard system, so they were 25K pots instead of whatever is normal -- 500K?

3. aidan7737

aidan7737 Member

Yes jay I'd refer directly to Brothers in Arms, You and Your Friend and go from there. I believe all Knopfler's volume swells are pedal swells rather than vol pot on the guitar as he prefers this method.

4. svanangen

svanangen Member

Nowadays he sets his Komet's to drive and back of with the volumepedal. So, yes, he uses it a lot. He uses the old type of Ernie Ball with the jacks on the side. His tech also bought a bundle of the old replacement-pots that were in these.

5. sandman

sandman Member

Recent DVD with Emmylou Harris is great, his foot is on the volume pedal all the time. Wasn't he using a Hotcake too?

His (great) guitar player Richard Bennet does for sure(from his site):

6. gillibi

gillibi Member

From what I've heard, Pete Cornish treble boost.

7. svanangen

svanangen Member

Knopfler never used a Carnish treble boost. In the Straits-days Cornish built a few rigs for him though. He does use a Hotcake but only for one or two songs.

8. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I've seen him live with Dire Straits and three times as a solo artist & he has his foot on that Ernie Ball pedal most of the night. I've never seen him use it to get a tremolo effect. He has used a Demeter Tremulator in the past & he does have amps with tremelo in them so that is probably what you're hearing.

9. svanangen

svanangen Member

If you hear trem on the albums its definitely the amps producing it.

10. gillibi

gillibi Member

How can you say he has never used one? A friend on another guitar page watched the teardown of his rig and saw a Cornish treble booster hidden by his monitor.

11. svanangen

svanangen Member

Well, I've been a Knopfler-fan for the better part of my life and has read almost everything there is to be found about him and I have never heard this.

When was this? Recently? I know he has been doing promo-gigs around Europe with Fender Blues Deluxe-amps for backline recently. Was it in this setting?

12. gillibi

gillibi Member

You need to learn that the players with the best tone never give out their secrets! Hence why the booster was hidden under a monitor. This was in 2006 if I recall correctly.

13. kevin hart

The players with the best tone don't need to have secrets!

I have no proof one way or the other about Knopfler's use of a Cornish Treble Booster, but I've followed his gear use for quite a while & I've never seen or heard of him using one either. Guy Fletcher, who plays keys for Mark, mentioned that he's been using both a Tube Screamer & a Hot Cake off stage and controled by his tech.

I'm not sure what he's using, but I doubt he's trying to keep anything a secret.

14. jay42

jay42 Member

I saw Dire Straits on their last tour. They did the "Clean Stage," thing. No amps were on stage. Is he still doing this?

15. kevin hart

I saw the same tour - On Every Street Tour - They were awesome.

No, his production is much more stripped down for his solo stuff. He has his amps and effects rack off stage and controled by his tech. He has Marshall cab(s) on stage and dumby Komet head(s). He also has been using a Tone King Imperial 1x12 combo for a slide amp and that is on stage also.

16. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

...with his foot.

Brothers in Arms is most famous and Song for Sonny Liston on the Live Roadrunning dvd is a great example.