• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How does one find replacement parts for Gibson guitars with VOS finish!?

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
All my guitars are NOS/new finish except for a Gibson Memphis ES-335, which only came in the silly VOS finish. I'm looking for a replacement tune-a-matic bridge but all the ones I find are shiny brand new nickel. I would like to find a high quality or genuine Gibson replacement part that somewhat matches the other faux aged hardware. Any recommendations or do I have to figure out how to artificially age that one piece myself? If so how?

Sconnie

google directions for aging parts with vinegar or muriatic acid and just buy new nickel parts and take the shine off yourself!

Macleod

Vendor
or muriatic acid

IMO, muriadic acid is one of the worst aging methods. I used it for years on pickup covers. It was awful. Virtually impossibly to neutralize completely, especially if the parts are raw, unplated material.

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys for all the input, I think I'll try getting a genuine Gibson replacement part and vinegar first. Hopefully it's as easy as it sounds.

AdmiralB

Did VOS 'evolve'? I've got a couple VOS guitars from the late '00s that are pretty tough to distinguish from gloss; the finish is less, well, glossy, and the parts have a little oxidation.

But the newer guitars are pretty gnarly, especially the hardware, which seems often rusted (screws) and really tarnished/corroded.

Did they turn it up to '11'?

73Fender

Did VOS 'evolve'? I've got a couple VOS guitars from the late '00s that are pretty tough to distinguish from gloss; the finish is less, well, glossy, and the parts have a little oxidation.

But the newer guitars are pretty gnarly, especially the hardware, which seems often rusted (screws) and really tarnished/corroded.

Did they turn it up to '11'?
I'll skip the rusted screws thanks. "No rusted screws for me"..every mechanics nightmare.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom